starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Assistance

Default Deadlift Assistance

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So, my deadlift is bad an I'm not entirely sure why. I can see on the video that once I get set, the first thing I do when I attempt to start the pull is that my hips drops a small amount. I figure this is not good. However, when I made a concentrated effort be less of a jackass and not do that, the first thing the happens as the bar comes off the ground is that it swings away from my shins.

I figure my set up might be flawed, but as far as I'm aware I'm going through The Steps as prescribed, so maybe it's something else. If any of you could advise me what I'm doing wrong and any particular way you recommend to correct it (and possibly what can be done to get my deadlift to stop failing at 50 lbs less than my squat), it would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize for the people walking in front of the camera, they won't let me cordon off half of the gym with police tape. I asked.

I cannot say for sure what you are doing from this angle. I suspect you are setting up with the bar behind the midfoot and your shoulders too far in front. Can you shoot another video from just slightly in front of the side?

Friday is typically deadlift day. I'll do it then. And I'll try to double check the barbell placement myself. Thanks.

This was me earlier from about as sideways as I could get before stupid equipment jammed in between more useful stuff crept into the frame too much (you can see the MAXRACK on the left of the screen). This was also me trying to creep the barbell just a bit more forward than it usually is. The weight came up a lot easier, but my hips kept dropping. Do I need to put it farther forward than this?

Also, leg press form check for the guy in the background. I think he locked his knees out on a rep. Someone should tell him that's bad for you.

Your setup actually looks decent to me. Are you lifting in squishy shoes? If so, get yourself a pair of WL shoes. Also, try this cue after you squeeze up and see if it gets your butt in the right place - rock back off your toes. If your aren't pushing your knees out into your elbows, do that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli
    Are you lifting in squishy shoes?
    Are four year old Nike sneakers held together with ShooGoo and prayers considered squishy?

Also, try this cue after you squeeze up and see if it gets your butt in the right place - rock back off your toes. If your aren't pushing your knees out into your elbows, do that, too.
    Will do. I'll also look into the cheapest flat soled weightlifting shoes I can find.

Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it.

Nothing wrong with lifting in shoes with a heel. I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Nothing wrong with lifting in shoes with a heel. I do.
    I figure it would be easiest to transfer into flatter shoes from sneakers (in which I learned myself the lifts) than into something with a higher heel. Unless I'm wrong in assuming that sneakers have you standing pretty "flat."

If that gibberish makes any sense.

Most sneakers have a little heel lift. Chuck Taylors and Vans are exceptions.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    I figure it would be easiest to transfer into flatter shoes from sneakers (in which I learned myself the lifts) than into something with a higher heel. Unless I'm wrong in assuming that sneakers have you standing pretty "flat."

If that gibberish makes any sense.
    Socks are best. With slippers if you must.

Assistance for deadlifts, more deadlifts. A back of set of 5 has helped my deadlift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast