starting strength gym

Thread: Break Up Workout Into Two Sessions?

Default Break Up Workout Into Two Sessions?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Is there anything disadvantageous to dividing my workouts into two sessions on the same day rather than doing everything at one time? Say Squat at one session and bench/press and deadlift at another. I've been having a difficult time finding enough time in one block to get everything done and I'd rather break it up than be rushed. Thoughts?

If it's a choice between getting everything done and not get everything done, the option that lets you get everything done is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    If it's a choice between getting everything done and not get everything done, the option that lets you get everything done is better.
    I would still get everything done the same day, just not in the same block. For instance, if I do squats in the morning when I have 45 minutes and then do press and deadlift in the afternoon when I have another 45min-1hr.

Do it and see if you like it. I've experimented with this before and splitting up my olympic lifts from squatting has definitely lead to more improvements in both.

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    I would still get everything done the same day, just not in the same block. For instance, if I do squats in the morning when I have 45 minutes and then do press and deadlift in the afternoon when I have another 45min-1hr.
    You said you've been having difficulty getting everything done in one block. Getting stronger and the longer rest periods that come along with that exacerbates the issue, making it harder to get an entire workout done in 45-60 minutes. Sometimes this can be solved with various programming options, but I was simply pointing out that getting all the work done is superior to not getting all the work done. So splitting up would be better than not splitting and leaving work undone.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    You said you've been having difficulty getting everything done in one block. Getting stronger and the longer rest periods that come along with that exacerbates the issue, making it harder to get an entire workout done in 45-60 minutes. Sometimes this can be solved with various programming options, but I was simply pointing out that getting all the work done is superior to not getting all the work done. So splitting up would be better than not splitting and leaving work undone.
    Ok got it. Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. I read it as meaning getting it all done at once is better. Thanks.