starting strength gym

Thread: Squatting and Lower Back Pain (video)

Default Squatting and Lower Back Pain (video)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello,

Before I ask my question, thank you for providing a place where I can get help with my lifting. Living in a city where there is not much of a barbell community, I've found the SS forums indispensable.

I'm posting because my lower-back is aching after squat work-outs. I've checked in SS and the rest of the forum to see what might be causing this, and the best answer I've come up with so far is that maybe my back is just not very strong yet and is adjusting to the work.

I've posted form checks in the 'technique' forum, and got the impression my squats were okay.

Here's a video from my last squat workout at 205lbs:
    http://youtu.be/avzIw5cGoqA?t=14s

Can you tell if there's something in my squat that's causing the lower back pain, or is it more likely an issue of not being strong enough yet?

For a post about low back pain possibly related to your squat, you sure picked an interesting angle to film, one in which we cannot see your back.

However, never fear, the SS Staff Coaches are still here. You're relaxing your low back and hamstrings and letting yourself plummet into the bottom. Can't say for sure, but this could be the cause of back pain. You need to stay tight, get just below parallel, and then drive your hips up from there. I can't tell you more precisely from here but I'd estimate you need to cut about 6 inches of depth off your squat. It will probably feel like you're squatting high at first. But film yourself, so you can see. Crease of hip just below top of kneecap.

So, do this:
    1. Take a stance a couple inches wider and turn your toes out more to accommodate this wider stance
    2. Make sure you know how to set your back - read the relevant sections of the book and watch this video
    3. Big breath and set your back before each rep
    4. CONTROL YOUR DESCENT, stay tight and drive your hips up when you get just below parallel
    5. Repeat for sets of 5
    6. Gain about 50lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    For a post about low back pain possibly related to your squat, you sure picked an interesting angle to film, one in which we cannot see your back.

However, never fear, the SS Staff Coaches are still here. You're relaxing your low back and hamstrings and letting yourself plummet into the bottom. Can't say for sure, but this could be the cause of back pain. You need to stay tight, get just below parallel, and then drive your hips up from there. I can't tell you more precisely from here but I'd estimate you need to cut about 6 inches of depth off your squat. It will probably feel like you're squatting high at first. But film yourself, so you can see. Crease of hip just below top of kneecap.

So, do this:
    1. Take a stance a couple inches wider and turn your toes out more to accommodate this wider stance
    2. Make sure you know how to set your back - read the relevant sections of the book and watch this video
    3. Big breath and set your back before each rep
    4. CONTROL YOUR DESCENT, stay tight and drive your hips up when you get just below parallel
    5. Repeat for sets of 5
    6. Gain about 50lbs
    I cannot agree with Wolf more on point 6. The advantages tonbe had by gaining weight are just unbelievable, in this particular circumstance. More strength, leverage, recovery issues just disappear( for the short term) it will come back. Blasted thing has a certain omnipresence about it- like death, and tax season.

good luck.

I've seen a lot of noobs say they have back pain when they first start out and yet keep their back flat (can't tell with yours admittedly) and i'm pretty sure it's just your spine getting used to squatting, I had it when I first started and from videos my back was completely flat. Same with knees. After a month or so all those little aches go away and you joints start feeling better. Now obviously i'm not saying that if you have bad form you should just push through the pain but I think there's a huge difference between a slight niggle and genuinely hurting your back. Of course this is all observation and I could be talking out of my arse.

Thanks for the replies.

I tried to implement Wolf's advice during yesterday's lifting session and found I had almost no back pain. It was a big improvement over Friday! I still need to get a feel for good depth, though.

Here's a video from the side-view:
    http://youtu.be/26V3IoJNlgI?t=3s

My depth isn't consistent across the set. Am I right in thinking that reps 3 and 4 show the depth I want to be shooting for?

The view we got for the 5th rep was the only rep with a good view, but it looks like these are better. Continue to work on staying tight through the descent. It's improved from the wholesale collapse of the first video but still needs work. Part of staying tight is shoving your knees out instead of letting them go forward at the bottom of the movement.

Not a good angle to see stance but still looks a bit narrow, so widen your heels a little further apart. Depth is better, and yes, 3 and 4 are pretty decent examples of the depth you should be aiming for.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-22-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: misspelling corrected

Thank you for the review coach.

All three of my squat sessions went well this week. No back pain, and right on schedule I added 15lbs to my squat.
    I'll keep thinking about knees out and tightness, and I'll post back in a week or two.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ABM View Post
    Thank you for the review coach.

All three of my squat sessions went well this week. No back pain, and right on schedule I added 15lbs to my squat.
    I'll keep thinking about knees out and tightness, and I'll post back in a week or two.
    Sounds like you've done some good work responding to the cues. Keep it up.