starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength's squat model "opinion" from other people in the gym

Default Starting Strength's squat model "opinion" from other people in the gym

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Today I was squatting singles with 315, on my third set I ask some guy who was doing bouncing deadlifts with 250 for a spot.
    He answered my question with "your squat is very bad, too much forward lean". I answered "I think it's good".
    He then proceeded to spot me.

I get this often, and I get "opinions" on the back arch in the bench and torso angle in the deadlift.

I'm sure you guys that train in a commercial gym have similar experiences, how do you deal with it?

Ignore the comment.

I've gotten both "too much forward lean" and "too deep, you'll hurt your knees."

I shrug and say "yeah, this is the way my coach taught me." Way easier to just pass the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by NikhilT View Post
    I shrug and say "yeah, this is the way my coach taught me."
    Good one, I'll use it.

Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    I'm sure you guys that train in a commercial gym have similar experiences, how do you deal with it?
    Lift more than them, you don't get as many critiques.

That, or actually explain the biomechanics behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    Today I was squatting singles with 315, on my third set I ask some guy who was doing bouncing deadlifts with 250 for a spot.
    He answered my question with "your squat is very bad, too much forward lean". I answered "I think it's good".
    He then proceeded to spot me.

I get this often, and I get "opinions" on the back arch in the bench and torso angle in the deadlift.

Squat in the rack with the pins set appropriately. It's easier not to care about peoples' incorrect opinions when you don't give the an opportunity to voice them. Crisis averted.

I just ignore them.

"Tell me about the lifts you've done using your method, and those of people you've coached."

The Squat Form Rip teaches is Biomechanically Correct.

starting strength coach development program
    i tell them this is the way i squat and I've squatted 500 pounds doing it......when i see them squatting wrong i don't even try to interject either they will keep doing it wrong and be less efficient of a lifter or they will get hurt unless of course they ask.....most people don't understand what a low bar back squat is so they don't understand how you can be more horizontal than in a high bar squat

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast