starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Critque

Default Squat Form Critque

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys, first post on this forum. I belonged to Elitefitness.com originally but am switching over because that site turned into a dive.

The first video is 420lbs (did not ask to be spotted) and the second is 415lbs. I'm 5'9 185lbs, 22 YO.

I realize I am not squatting with the form that is recommended per SS, at this stage I would be fighting my body every step of the way if I chose to overhaul my form. I did read both SS and Practical programming and utilize concepts from both in my training, right now I am doing the Texas method (two days a week) for my squat. These videos are obviously from the intensity day.

What I am looking for is some general input on my form and anything ya'll could recommend to either add to my training or focus on while under the bar. Hopefully its nothing too radical. Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsU9RadAH4Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92BP_wclJFA

You will probably want to put this either in the Technique section or if you really have balls - put it up in the Starting Strength Coaches forum. I am interested in reading their assessment.

I'll give it a shot, however right not it is not allowing me to. I think it may be because I just made my account.

I only watched the first video. I'd have you descend a little slower. I think you're going too low actually. Your knees are coming farther forward than I'd like, and your gaze is a little straight ahead rather than downwards, as we advocate around here. Are those non-slip restaurant staff shoes or crocs?

Then again, I don't squat 420 x 5. Or even 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I only watched the first video. I'd have you descend a little slower. I think you're going too low actually. Your knees are coming farther forward than I'd like, and your gaze is a little straight ahead rather than downwards, as we advocate around here. Are those non-slip restaurant staff shoes or crocs?

Then again, I don't squat 420 x 5. Or even 1.
    I wouldn't nit pick the gaze or how he holds the bar, but I do agree that he is going too low. In doing so, there is a lot of knee slide in the bottom. Coming up, his knees seem to reset and things look better. I did notice that it was throwing off balance a little too. TS, try to set your knees a little better if you can. Like Adam said, control it a little better on the way down and try to stay tighter. But if you are happy with you gaze/grip, etc. I wouldn't mess with the small stuff.

Hey man, I didn't put a rep max requisite of what you need to lift to post in this thread. That all seems like sound advice to me. To answer your question those are 15 dollar shoes from Walmart. I'm in a temporary gym for business and they won't let me squat barefoot which is what I planned on doing since I did not pack my lifting shoes. They work decent but I'm still feeling them out, as you can see by my little stumble on my first rep of 420.

As far as going too low I would hate to cut my depth short since I am not training for competiton but instead just for strength and muscular gain. However if you think making my squat a little shallower would behoove these goals then I am willing to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    As far as going too low I would hate to cut my depth short since I am not training for competiton but instead just for strength and muscular gain. However if you think making my squat a little shallower would behoove these goals then I am willing to listen.
    Yeah, we do think that (those of us who ascribe to the Starting Strength low bar squat model). Because as you go even lower (and the knees come forward), it allows the hamstrings to slacken, since the ass and heels come closer together. And slackened hamstrings cannot contract and contribute to the lift, since they're already in a shortened state. You want to cut them off at the limit of hamstring extensibility, meaning that point right before your knees start coming forward for the second time. This will be below parallel, just by a few inches less. Since it allows more muscle mass to contribute to the lift, it will allow even more weight to be used, which will make all the components stronger, including those that are carrying the portion of the load that your posterior chain currently isn't contributing. Also, you'll be able to feel a "bounce" out of the hamstrings stretching and won't feel the need to "dive bomb" your descent in order to get the initial bounce you're using to start your ascent right now.

Noted, I will be increasing my stance width by a little bit and try to shove my knees outward more, this should keep my form from going as low as seen in this video. It should also help produce that pop you mentioned.

I agree with depth as others say, also test looking down 4-5 feet and get a pair of adipowers. Then post a max lift in a few weeks! Keep up the good work

Not enough cookies in the video. Also you are to thin and unhairy. Fix that.

starting strength coach development program
    I seriously don't have anything else to add to a critique, but I had a laugh at that guy trying to spot you there at the end of the first one. You clearly had it and he jumped in anyway. I just enjoyed your facial expression of disgust.

Solid work, anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast