starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creatine while trying to lose weight?

Default Creatine while trying to lose weight?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've read some articles about creatine and it's effects and benefits, but like all subjects on the Internet, it can be difficult to tell what's bullshit and what's trustworthy. So does anybody have experience losing weight (especially those coming from the overweight/obese body fat levels) while using creatine? How much did it help your recovery times. How much water weight did you retain and for how long? Did you use a loading phase? Do you cycle it? And all the other typical questions, but with weight loss in mind rather than bulking.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=32316

Judging by how i felt after stopping i think it helped a fair amount w/ reps 4 and 5. Maybe even overall lost some lbs off my worksets. When i do it again i still won't load it and i'll def cycle it and only while bulking.

Creatine for bulking and Anavar for cutting (basically really strong creatine w/o water retention)

I'm cutting a bit right now and I'm taking creatine. I wasn't obese at the start (at least not by my standards, 5'10", 209 lbs), just at my upper tolerance for chubby from bulking. I wasn't coming at it as adding creatine to help with recovery while losing weight - I had already been on creatine and I didn't want to stop taking taking it and get a false sense of weight loss if I dropped some water weight from going off. So far I'm down about 8 or 9 pounds and my lifts have still been progressing ok. The creatine may in fact be helping as I lose weight, but it's hard to say since I have no before and after to compare.

I don't think it makes a difference really, you might be a little heavier from the water retention, but that's fine unless you're trying to make weight for a competition. I'd keep taking it, no reason to cycle what is basically a nutrient. It's not like we cycle our multivitamins and protein powder, lol.

If you're ever curious how much you weigh without a lot of water, get white-girl-wasted one night off of spirits and resist the urge to eat when intoxicated.

Keep taking it while cutting and don't worry about the water weight you carry. Just because your a couple pounds higher on the scale doesn't mean it's fat. Just make sure you drink a lot of water while taking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwiggity View Post
    I've read some articles about creatine and it's effects and benefits, but like all subjects on the Internet, it can be difficult to tell what's bullshit and what's trustworthy. So does anybody have experience losing weight (especially those coming from the overweight/obese body fat levels) while using creatine? How much did it help your recovery times. How much water weight did you retain and for how long? Did you use a loading phase? Do you cycle it? And all the other typical questions, but with weight loss in mind rather than bulking.
    I've gained weight and lost weight while on creatine. It helped my recovery times immensely. That was really the difference I noticed. I went from needing 5+ minutes after a high intensity set to feeling like I only need 2 or 3 minutes.
    I loaded 20g a day for 5 days, don't cycle it.

How much are you taking daily Corrie?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    How much are you taking daily Corrie?
    I take about 5g a day, but sometimes I forget on the days I'm not lifting.

starting strength coach development program
    Do you feel it helps recovery between workouts? Lately I've had days where I'm not sore, but I just run out of steam halfway through a workout. Would it help with this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast