starting strength gym

Thread: question about press grip

Default question about press grip

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    in 3nd edtion,page83,is pic A correct grip and is B false?

i took the grip like A.but when i move elbows forward,bar position on hand was switching to back.

and i have a very long finger so that many space left when i take grip like A,very hard to squeeze and bar is not fixed.

and i saw many vid on youtube and SS DVd.but no one took the grip like A rather they grap like B.

can't i see coach's press on internet?
    i am really confuse.really sorry to my stupid.

I don't know how to explain the grip any better than it is explained in the book.

Rip I commend you on your incredible patience and cryptological ability.

i agree i just thanks and sorry about that.i will be good athlete and then i want reward to Rip.

Quote Originally Posted by risepmj View Post
    in 3nd edtion,page83,is pic A correct grip and is B false?
    Yes, A is correct. B is wrong.

i took the grip like A.but when i move elbows forward,bar position on hand was switching to back.
    You may be pushing the elbows too far forward, or you may be relaxing the hands too much.

Are you following the steps illustrated in pictures C, D, and E on the same page? That is how to achieve a correct grip (A).

Also, you may be confused by a slightly angled back wrist as a result of correct elbow placement. This is not the same thing as the bar being held incorrectly. See the photos on p. 85. In the bottom photo, the elbow position and forearm angle are incorrect, which allows the bar to sit very far forward in the palm. In the top photo, which has the correct elbow position/forearm angle, the bar is slightly further back. However, it is slight. What is shown in the top photo is not the same bar placement you see in photo C on page 82, which is incorrect, as the bar is too far back toward the fingers.

and i have a very long finger so that many space left when i take grip like A,very hard to squeeze and bar is not fixed.
    This is actually kind of interesting to me because, as a person with small hands, I've never given this any thought. People I know with long fingers have never expressed an issue with this.

I just experimented with grabbing the thin handle of a Swiffer-type mop I have here in my apartment. What I ended up doing instinctively was exaggerating the curl of my fingers so that the tips were pressing very hard into the "bar" near my palm. This was automatic for me--I'm guessing that this is what most people with larger hands end up doing? Perhaps this is why Rip emphasizes "squeezing the fingertips into the bar" on p. 82--for people who don't do this automatically. (Rip?).

risepmj, you may actually be holding the bar just fine but have the mistaken impression that the wrist is going to appear totally straight, as shown in the bottom photo on p. 85 (which shows incorrect elbow placement). I suggest you record a video of your press and post it to the technique forum and we'll help you out.

i want reward to Rip.
    Yes, Rip deserves reward to him.

Wow Thanks you very much spar.you genius!! you unlock my password!!
    i fully understand about confusing thing.
    i will try with your descriptions.
    you always give us to go good direction with Rip.Thank you very much!

Wow Thanks you very much spar.you genius!! you unlock my password!!
    i fully understand about confusing thing.
    i will try with your descriptions.
    you always give us to go good direction with Rip.Thank you very much!

"You unlock my password" I'm gonna hang on to that one.

you unlock my password!!
    You should try to find a local girl to "unlock your password". That sort of thing is better in person.

starting strength coach development program
    haha my expression was so wrong.i don't like local girl and i am not gay.i have a girl friend.
    Thank you!