starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on my SS routine.

Default Need advice on my SS routine.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi all

Alright, I figure my story is the usual one. I wanted to get in shape, did some research, bought the SS book, read through it a few times, hit the gym, and started doing the program.

That is about a month and a half ago now. I am starting to struggle A LOT with some of the exercises, which is annoying the hell out of me, as I don't think I progressed enough in them yet.

I am a weakling, so even started reeeaaally low on some (f***, I hate that benchpress)…

Here are my stats (first number is what I started on, second is where I am now):

Squats 130 – 200
    Bench 95 – 110
    Deadlift 175 – 225
    Press 65 – 90
    BOR 90 – 130

And then I have done dips and chin-ups, starting at about one or two before my arms cracked, and am now at about seven a set before the arms give up.

I don't get why I haven't progressed that much in benchpress for instance. I am fighting and struggling with all I got every time, and it is such a pain, and even then, I only managed to get it up about 15 pounds.

Anyways, can some of the more experienced and willing lifters give me their educated opinion on my progress and how it seems compared to "the normal", if there is such a thing?

I am 28 years old, weigh about 182 pounds. I eat 6 times a day - lots of carbs and about 140 grams of protein each day. Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks for the help guys!

- Alex

NB: I am always trying to get my technique right, and that is a high priority for me.
    Also, I started training mainly for aesthetic purposes. The reason I am doing SS is to get my base strength up, so when I actually start a bodybuilding program, I can lift some decent weight.

How tall are you?

For six weeks in, your progress isn't awful, but you're not setting the world on fire either. BP and DL are progressing pretty close to on schedule, but yeah, your BP and OHP aren't. What's your anthropometry? Long arms, perhaps?

You should post form checks in the Technique section.

Your nutrition sounds awful. You should probably be at 250g P/day. Read this. If that doesn't answer your nutrition questions. Search the Nutrition forum. That should give you all you need to dial in your food. If you still need more, ask Jordan.

I would note that if you are doing "BOR", or bent-over rows, and not doing powercleans, then you are not "doing SS." Which leads me to wonder what else you're doing outside the programme. But that is a large question with lengthy answers which probably don't matter much.

Maybe you just didn't start with much in the chest and shoulders, and need to add some. Has your bodyweight gone up? If not, keep eating until it does.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorinexile View Post
    How tall are you?

For six weeks in, your progress isn't awful, but you're not setting the world on fire either. BP and DL are progressing pretty close to on schedule, but yeah, your BP and OHP aren't. What's your anthropometry? Long arms, perhaps?

You should post form checks in the Technique section.

Your nutrition sounds awful. You should probably be at 250g P/day. Read this. If that doesn't answer your nutrition questions. Search the Nutrition forum. That should give you all you need to dial in your food. If you still need more, ask Jordan.
    Thanks for reply man!

I am about 185 cm. tall, or 6 feet.

I based my diet on the most typical advices (have about 500 cal. more intake than what needed, and eat about 2 gram protein per kg. of bodyweight), but I will read through your link a few times, and make adjustments.

I might have a little longer arms than most people, but not anything special. The tips of my fingers stretch just an inch or so below my crotch.

- Alex
    Last edited by alexdecker; 09-17-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    I would note that if you are doing "BOR", or bent-over rows, and not doing powercleans, then you are not "doing SS." Which leads me to wonder what else you're doing outside the programme. But that is a large question with lengthy answers which probably don't matter much.

Maybe you just didn't start with much in the chest and shoulders, and need to add some. Has your bodyweight gone up? If not, keep eating until it does.
    The only reason I'm doing bent-over rows is, that I do not have access to a qualified trainer, and felt a bit uncomfortable taking on that exercise on my own. As it is suggested in the Starting Strength book, I substituted it with bent-over rows, although it is not ideal, and I realise that. But this is the only thing I have changed.

My bodyweight has gone up about 5 kg. in the time I have been doing the program (from 78 to 83 kg). Now it seems to have stalled and stays at 83 kg though. Is that normal?

Thanks for your replys guys - the help means a lot.

- Alex

You've gained 5kg (however many pounds that is, fuck if I know), but have you increased your intake?

You should probably be taking in something like 250/500/90, but I'm no expert here. Thats grams of Protein / Carbs / Fat. Eat!!

Read that article. Post vids to the technique section to make sure you're doing all lifts safely and properly. The book teaches the PC pretty well. Try it and post vids for help.

Keep at it!

Bench & press seem quite low. Could be so many things, Alex. If you're sure doing the program right & recovery's fine...it might be a hormone thing. If it's a hormone thing, fix the hormone thing.

I am willing to bet money it's not "a hormone thing."

This guy saw powercleans, and ran for rows, which last time I read the book are not suggested as a substitute. Quoting Rip: "fuck barbell rows, seriously, fuck them."

This indicates a lack of confidence. A lack of confidence leads to not pushing really hard, both figuratively and literally. Thus the low lifts.

A lack of confidence in lifters working out on their own is far, far more common than a need for vitamin T.

This guy saw powercleans, and ran for rows, which last time I read the book are not suggested as a substitute. Quoting Rip: "fuck barbell rows, seriously, fuck them."

This indicates a lack of confidence. A lack of confidence leads to not pushing really hard, both figuratively and literally. Thus the low lifts.

A lack of confidence in lifters working out on their own is far, far more common than a need for vitamin T.
    I agree. Eat. Get mad. Play angry Music. Lift hard. Rinse and repeat for 2 more months 3x/week. Check back in. 6 weeks isn't very long.

starting strength coach development program

Kyle, you may be suffering from Reckless Extrapolation Syndrome. There's a pill for that.

Honestly, without seeing this dude lift, I have no idea what's going on. But when presses are this low for a 28y/o dude, T might very well be an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast