starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Significant pain from bar during squats

Default Significant pain from bar during squats

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I have to be doing something wrong...When I lift the bar off the rack to do squats, the pain from the bar simply resting on my back is so severe I can't even do the exercise, even at low weights.

Either I'm doing something wrong in the set up or it just something I've got to get used to.

Does it sound like I'm possibly not contracting the posterior deltoids before lifting the bar off the hooks? I make sure to have my elbows up before lifting off so I'm not sure what's going on.

You are probably doing something wrong. It is not supposed to hurt.
    Check the bar position video: http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...t_bar_position

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    Does it sound like I'm possibly not contracting the posterior deltoids before lifting the bar off the hooks?
    What it sounds like is that you're putting the bar on your neck, but I'm hoping that's not the case, since you'd have to be incredibly far off the SS model to manage that. Hope you figure it out.

So I have to be doing something wrong...When I lift the bar off the rack to do squats, the pain from the bar simply resting on my back is so severe I can't even do the exercise, even at low weights.

Either I'm doing something wrong in the set up or it just something I've got to get used to.

Does it sound like I'm possibly not contracting the posterior deltoids before lifting the bar off the hooks? I make sure to have my elbows up before lifting off so I'm not sure what's going on.
    You may not have ascertained this factoid by now, but we're better able to help you if you provide us videos. Also, they may be funny and give us reasons to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    You may not have ascertained this factoid by now, but we're better able to help you if you provide us videos. Also, they may be funny and give us reasons to laugh.
    My schedule is all jacked up as I work nights and I posted that at work. I'll try to get y'all some entertainment when I wake up this afternoon. Don't let the suspense get to you

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    Here's the video. It only has be lifting the bar. Even with an empty bar it kills my shoulders to even be in the position I am in the video, which is why I don't do any reps. It kills my shoulders to have my arms pulled back. I can't pull my elbows up because of the pain and I can't lower the bar any further on my back either. The bar likes to ride up in that position. Got no clue WTH is going on.

Last edited by amsgator; 12-21-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Yep, the bar is too high, you've got it resting on the bony ridge of the scapula. You've gotta put it just below the bony point, an inch or two down from where it is now. You might have to move your grip out a few inches to do this at first, see if you can bring your grip back in gradually as you warm up.

As you grow bigger traps and delts, the bar will tend to fall into the right spot by itself, but it takes a bit of attention when you are a slender beginner.

Watch Rip's video about it: http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...t_bar_position.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Yep, the bar is too high, you've got it resting on the bony ridge of the scapula. You've gotta put it just below the bony point, an inch or two down from where it is now. You might have to move your grip out a few inches to do this at first, see if you can bring your grip back in gradually as you warm up.

As you grow bigger traps and delts, the bar will tend to fall into the right spot by itself, but it takes a bit of attention when you are a slender beginner.

Watch Rip's video about it: http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...t_bar_position.
    Thanks for the reply. I watched the video yesterday, so I know what I'm supposed to be doing, I just can't do it. I tried a wider grip but then I run into the uprights on the rack and risk slamming the bar on my hand when I try to re-rack it. I guess I'll have to figure something out. :-\

I'll try a wider grip and post another video.

Here's another. I think I got the bar a little lower, but at the end you'll see I almost take my fingers off trying to re-rack the bar. My shoulders are still in a lot of pain, but not necessarily from the bar. I think the pain is from having my arms/shoulders pulled back so far. I'm hoping it gets easier the more I do it because it hurts quite a bit.

Last edited by amsgator; 12-21-2013 at 04:51 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Here's another. I think I got the bar a little lower, but at the end you'll see I almost take my fingers off trying to re-rack the bar. My shoulders are still in a lot of pain, but not necessarily from the bar. I think the pain is from having my arms/shoulders pulled back so far. I'm hoping it gets easier the more I do it because it hurts quite a bit.
    I think you have the bar position figured out. And yes, if you squat regularly it will stretch your shoulders a bit, it does get easier. Personally, for my first warmup set my hands are out as wide as you use here. And I do that same "hands off" re-racking maneuver to avoid pinching my fingers :-) Then on all subsequent sets I move them in to the width you use in the first video.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast