starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoes

Default Shoes

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,

I know the current running shoes I am lifting in right now are not good for the exercises, so I have been looking around. For doing Starting Strength, would it be better to use Chuck Taylors or a weightlifting shoe like Wei-Rui or VS? Something less than $75 would be nice. I have read that chuck's are very good for squats, and the weightlifting shoes are really good for cleans, but if I'm doing both on the program, which should I choose?

Thank you so much

Actual lifting shoes are the best pick. Save some money and get yourself a nice pair from Rogue Fitness.

Carlos is right. Just get the weightlifting shoes. I have a pair of do-wins that I really like and it made a big big difference for me in every lift, but probably most notably during squatting. I was squatting in Chucks before -- totally not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by SaraSaraT View Post
    Carlos is right. Just get the weightlifting shoes. I have a pair of do-wins that I really like and it made a big big difference for me in every lift, but probably most notably during squatting. I was squatting in Chucks before -- totally not as good.
    How's your squat doing, Sara? I remember we were able to "fix" it last time you posted a form check, I hope it's going well. Nice to know the shoes helped you.

Really depends on your flexibility

If you're flexible enough then you don't need weightlifting shoes

If you're a tight fuck like me then you should get one

What size are you? I'll sell you a pair of size 11 2010 Pendlay Do Wins for cheap. They're about a size too big for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    How's your squat doing, Sara? I remember we were able to "fix" it last time you posted a form check, I hope it's going well. Nice to know the shoes helped you.
    Hey Carlos! Thanks for asking!! I progressed pretty well after your help, and then was able to attend the Starting Strength seminar last weekend out here in the Seattle area. Rip, Juli, and staff were able to finish tweaking my form and I'm off again.

@Carnivroar - I'm not sure what flexibility has to do with it. Nope, can't think of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SaraSaraT View Post
    Hey Carlos! Thanks for asking!! I progressed pretty well after your help, and then was able to attend the Starting Strength seminar last weekend out here in the Seattle area. Rip, Juli, and staff were able to finish tweaking my form and I'm off again.

@Carnivroar - I'm not sure what flexibility has to do with it. Nope, can't think of anything.
    The whole point of weightlifting shoes is that it allows the knees to travel more forward. If you have good ankle flexibility you probably don't need it, though you could still benefit from the hard sole.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Really depends on your flexibility

If you're flexible enough then you don't need weightlifting shoes

If you're a tight fuck like me then you should get one
    There‘s much more to it than flexibility. It’s almost always better to have WL shoes, for squatting and cleaning, at least.

starting strength coach development program
    Size 10.5... are the sizes on these shoes different than say, sneakers/running shoes? I'm not super flexible, but not unflexible either, in between.

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast