starting strength gym

Thread: Power clean form check

Default Power clean form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi, guess I'm verified now and I'd like a form check for the my power clean:

Thanks

Your set-up is incorrect. See the sticky for how to set up a pull from the floor (as well as a video on what a proper clean looks like so you can compare yours). Your set-up results with your hips being a bit low, and you're standing up off the floor - you're immediately raising your chest instead of staying over the bar. So:
    1) Review the correct set-up procedure and do that
    2) Rotate your elbows INTERNALLY - you're doing external rotation.
    3) Stay over the bar longer
    4) Make sure you hit the jump point on the mid-thigh. The bar has to hit the jumping position each rep.
    5) This was obviously not a challenging weight. More weight on the bar when you post again. The bar should be accelerating off the floor HARD.
    6) FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET BETTER MUSIC IN THE GYM. This is weightlifting, not kindergarten dance class.

New video, tried to not let my hips go down this time. I was reseting reps and I look really silly by trying to keep the bar over midfoot, guess I was overthinking too much. I tried to keep all the other points in mind when power cleaning, but still, it is hard for me to detect what is wrong.

PS: Gym music keeps looking kindergarten dance class.

I still see the same mistake I saw in your first video, which is that you have the sequencing off the floor wrong. You are standing up right off the floor. Stay bent over for a short time as the bar comes off the floor, pushing the floor away with your feet (knee extension), and after the bar starts getting 1-2" off the ground, THEN begin standing up (hip extension). This is what is meant by "staying over the bar."

Still looks like a pretty easy weight. These were very peaceful.

So, here is an update on the power clean. I tried to remain over the bar for as long as I could this time. Not sure if it was enough, this is something I never thought I could possibly do wrong, but it makes totally sense, specially by thinking how sore my lower back used to get in the deadlift (did not deadlift again after you telling me to fix the sequencing, gonna do that on thursday). Now, I was losing balance during my catches, I believe I either catch too low or too upward off the midpoint in my thighs. I have also made a slightly increase in my power clean, not that big though. Also have in mind this was my sixth set, because the footage in the fifth did not get recorded, so I was already a little more tired than usual.

If you still think I'm sequencing wrong, maybe I should drop the power clean and train my form in the deadlift ? And after nailing it down, maybe I should go back to the power clean.

Thank you very much for helping me.

These are better. Do a better job setting your back. You're moving forward because you're jumping a little early. Wait until a little higher up the thigh to jump. Be patient for it. You'll also need to internally rotate your elbows HARD, as you're starting to develop an arm pull. Long, straight arms until after the jump. You'll also need to start moving the bar off the floor quicker at some point, as well.

Sorry, but what do you mean with "setting your back" ? Should I get tighter when pulling the bar ? Also, do you think the arm pull might be consequence of not moving the bar off the floor quicker (besides not rotating hard mu elbows) ? Since I would get less momentum.

Step 4 in the dead-lift (and all pulls from the floor) set-up process sets your back in rigid extension. If you don't have the 5 steps memorized, we may have to revoke your posting privileges.

I'm trying to raise my chest as high as I can, without dropping the hips. I'm going back to read the book (probably the deadlift chapter) and try to fix all the things you previously said and then post another form check video. Thanks.