starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DHS Magnetic Collars ? Other Competition Collars ?

Default DHS Magnetic Collars ? Other Competition Collars ?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I know i'm weird, but i always use collars. I also always wear seatbelt. That's just my anal retentive personality.

I have decided that i will definitely be picking up muscle clamps for super light duty like doing curls or something, and i might pick up lock jaw pros for moderate duty like bench or squat, but anything where there will be actual load on the collar i fully intend with going with top of the line collars, like Eleiko Competition collars ( sold by Rogue ).

At first i was dead set on Eleiko, but then i saw the DHS magnetic collar and i thought wow, that is cool ! I also like fact that the bolt is single piece on the DHS, which means nothing to rattle - i know that has been a complaint with Ivanko collars - the pin rattles as you lift.

Anyway, to me the DHS magnetic collar looks very clever / innovative, but i know that while DHS quality is OK, it is not the same as Eleiko quality ( no sh1t ). Which is a problem because in case of the collars, the DHS collars cost exactly the same as Eleiko ones.

So did anybody try the DHS collars ? Did you try the Eleiko Competition ones ? Any other similar ones ?

There is already plenty of discussion of Muscle Clamps and Lock Jaws elsewhere and i read all of it, like 20 pages of it, so i'm not terribly interested in reading about those at this point, but i want to know about the 2.5KG competition type collars.

I want to know which ones are the best, but also want to know which ones are compatible with widest range of change plates, especially the Eleiko change plates.

Even if i get the DHS collars i still want to use them on Eleiko change plates ...

My old York spin lock collars are good enough for me.

you will probably not find a lot of people around here are using $200 collars. Because there is no reason to, it isn't going to effect your lifting at all. If you think it is cool buy them. It won't put weight on your bar.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    you will probably not find a lot of people around here are using $200 collars. Because there is no reason to, it isn't going to effect your lifting at all. If you think it is cool buy them. It won't put weight on your bar.
    Bingo!

It is senseless to buy the DHS magnetic collar.

I have a set a set of Ivanko, Okie and Muscle Clamp collars.

I got the Ivanko and Okie collers in a used barbell set from a guy.

The Ivanko and Okie collars are nice.

However, I'd never have spent the money on buying them.

The collar that I use daily is the Muscle Clamp.

Melody

As she states, ..."There is NO reason" to" purchase the barbell DHS magnetic collar.

Kenny Croxdale

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    My old York spin lock collars are good enough for me.
    those are very cool. the only thing that worries me about them is the leather - thinking maybe rubber may be more durable in the long run. also, while while two symmetrical screws put more even clamping pressure on the bar, the newer 1 bolt design is just easier to use and good enough for most purposes.

my education background is in engineering, and i find that historically the first product to come out is often the best engineered and built - like your york collars - then as time passes measures are taken to make he product cheaper and easier to use. the first guy engineering the thing is usually a visionary who just wants it to work, and people who come after him are trying save a few pennies or do a marketing pitch.

that said, having decades of experience with a design does allow even people of average intelligence to make improvements to it. so like i said - those are very solid and cool collars, but i would prefer a friction surface out of a more modern material and a single bolt for easier operation.

however even if these two changes were implemented this would only turn the York Collar into an Ivanko spin lock collar. that is to say a top notch TRAINING collar. with the introduction of the Kilogram rule a decade or so ago competition collars are now designed to allow securing plates both on the inside and the outside. i think this is a cool innovation, and since i am looking to pick up NEW, not used collars, i definitely want ones of the new design that allow four placement of small change plates on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Crox View Post
    The collar that I use daily is the Muscle Clamp.
    that's what i plan to use as the first go to collar as well, because it is easiest to use. i have them at my gym - they are super easy to use, but also super weak. however most of the time it's all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Crox View Post
    The Ivanko and Okie collars are nice.
    The Okie looks like what the Lock Jaw have copied. I just googled it up - the Okie was discontinued a year ago. If it was still in production i would have picked them up, but right now you have to pay $99 to $119 for them because it is already a novelty collectors item - you are lucky to have gotten them - however as i am looking for function only, i won't be getting them at the prices they are now going for.

The Ivanko is a fairly standard training-level spin-lock, compression grip collar. At about $100 it compares very directly to similar training collar from Eleiko, as well as DHS. the DHS training collar for $100 however is slightly higher end as it is narrower profile and has a flatter back - making it more suitable for discs on the outside - for $100 the DHS training collar would be the collar to get IMO.

In fact it is hard to think of any advantage the $200 Eleiko competition collar has over the $100 DHS training collar. functionally they are almost identical. the Ivanko and Eleiko training collars are far behind because they are deeper and their backs are not flat. they are a poor value from that perspective, but you do get the brand name.

the DHS magnetic collar though, i think is in a league by itself. because the Eleiko competition collar will only work properly with Eleiko friction grip plates, while the DHS magnetic will work with any metal plates, AND the Eleiko friction grip plates ...
    Last edited by G1981C; 12-15-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G1981C View Post
    those are very cool. the only thing that worries me about them is the leather - thinking maybe rubber may be more durable in the long run. also, while while two symmetrical screws put more even clamping pressure on the bar, the newer 1 bolt design is just easier to use and good enough for most purposes.

my education background is in engineering, and i find that historically the first product to come out is often the best engineered and built - like your york collars - then as time passes measures are taken to make he product cheaper and easier to use. the first guy engineering the thing is usually a visionary who just wants it to work, and people who come after him are trying save a few pennies or do a marketing pitch.

that said, having decades of experience with a design does allow even people of average intelligence to make improvements to it. so like i said - those are very solid and cool collars, but i would prefer a friction surface out of a more modern material and a single bolt for easier operation.

however even if these two changes were implemented this would only turn the York Collar into an Ivanko spin lock collar. that is to say a top notch TRAINING collar. with the introduction of the Kilogram rule a decade or so ago competition collars are now designed to allow securing plates both on the inside and the outside. i think this is a cool innovation, and since i am looking to pick up NEW, not used collars, i definitely want ones of the new design that allow four placement of small change plates on the outside.
    Overthinking

You are overthinking this. It is a barbell collar.

A fairly inexpensive collar will function as well as a $200 collar.

...It isn't going to effect your lifting at all." Melody

You'd be better using the money to invest in a piece of equipment that would actually provide with a positive training effect.

No collar on the market is going to enhance your training.

Money

Evidently, you have more money than you know what to do with.

You might want to make your next investment in common sense.

Kenny Croxdale

DHS magnetic collar:

that's what i plan to use as the first go to collar as well, because it is easiest to use. i have them at my gym - they are super easy to use, but also super weak.
    Muscle Clamp

Weak? I've had the same pair for over 10 years. They are a durable, hard plastic.

As long as you are doing something stupid with them, they will hold up just find.

The Okie looks like what the Lock Jaw have copied.
    Lock Jaw

This is another durable, hard plastic collar that will hold up.

I just googled it up - the Okie was discontinued a year ago. If it was still in production i would have picked them up, but right now you have to pay $99 to $119 for them because it is already a novelty collectors item - you are lucky to have gotten them - however as i am looking for function only, i won't be getting them at the prices they are now going for.
    Okie Collar
    http://www.crain.ws/okie_bars_weights_equipment.html

The collars are very functional. The NASA Powerlifting organization used them at most of their meet because they are functional, durable and have a quick release.

the DHS magnetic collar though, i think is in a league by itself.
    I Think = Guessing

In other word, you really don't know.

Paper Plates

Do you go through this extensive process when purchasing paper plates?

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by Kenny Crox; 12-15-2013 at 12:07 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Just curious... do you even lift?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast