starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift grip question

Default Deadlift grip question

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Doing workset of 335 today, noticed my overhand grip was a little shaky. I could probably add another 20 pounds, but after that I doubt I'll be able to hold on to the bar properly without it slipping. What's the general rule of thumb for switching to the alternate grip? Should I go ahead and stick it out for as long as I can until I finally fail on worksets, then switch? Until I started doing SS, I used alternate grip exclusively, so I really don't have any frame of reference.

Thanks.

Continue to do your warmups with a double overhand then until it becomes absolutely neccessary (bar falling from hands bad) switch to alternate. What I sometimes do is do as many double overhand in my set, then for the last two reps switch hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradeep View Post
    Doing workset of 335 today, noticed my overhand grip was a little shaky. I could probably add another 20 pounds, but after that I doubt I'll be able to hold on to the bar properly without it slipping. What's the general rule of thumb for switching to the alternate grip? Should I go ahead and stick it out for as long as I can until I finally fail on worksets, then switch? Until I started doing SS, I used alternate grip exclusively, so I really don't have any frame of reference.

Thanks.
    Even if you can successfully pull the bar off the ground with an overhand grip, you could still be doing more with a mixed grip. Save the overhand grip work for the warmup sets or work sets when you have zero grip instability (which won't happen unless you are very untrained - i.e. beginner)

Get yourself some chalk. Go with double overhand grip as long as you can on work sets. Watch your grip strength grow.

Mix in a hook grip too.

I usually use mixed hook grip with straps. And chalk.

Don't risk failing a set just because you don't want to switch to the mixed grip. Stalling sucks, and what's worse is stalling because you were stubborn and did something stupid. Trust me. Been there, done that.

Do all of your warmups with double overhand, and only switch to mixed grip for your work sets. Your grip strength will still improve this way, but it won't be the limiting factor in your deadlifts.

And if you don't have chalk, get some ASAP.

Like many others above, I use double/over for my warmups and switch to a mixed on my worksets. I could manage maybe 1-2 reps of my workset if I were to do them double/over.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lofton View Post
    Mix in a hook grip too.
    This! I do all my pulls (DL, Hacks, Jefferson, Cleans, Suitcase DL) with a hook grip; it's very secure. There is a break-in period you must go thru, but it's so worth it after you habituate. I always got a slight helicoptering effect with the mixed grip on heavy DLs; that does not happen with the hook grip.

~ bif ~

starting strength coach development program
    hook is the same as double overhand except thumbs are on the inside?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast