starting strength gym

Thread: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Default Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Mark, recently I began developing a lot of pain in my right wrist. I got my CoC #1 and as soon as I could close it I did it several times a day. I stopped using it, and felt nothing, but recently after a heavy (for me) set of presses my right wrist began really throbbing. Now it throbs repeatedly, and when I press it it feels like a bad bruise, although there's no bruising on it. Is it worth getting this checked out?

Carpal tunnel symptoms are typically neurological-type shit -- numbness and tingling -- in the thumb, index, middle, and half of the ring fingers. It may or may not be perceived in the wrist itself. Stretch the wrist into extension against a table for a few minutes a few times a day and see if that helps. If it hurts it, it's probably not carpal tunnel, and will heal anyway.

I got some painful wristy shit which I assumed was carpal tunnel, but may not have been (it was on my right hand, aka the mouse hand). I had great success with the stretches listed on WebMD for carpal tunnel. They had some goodies for elbow issues, too. Recommended by me, Expert Internet Doctor.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is one of the most over diagnosed things out there. Essentially, any pain, numbness or tingling in the fingers, hand or wrist is automatically thought to be carpal tunnel. In reality, CTS has very specific signs and symptoms, like Rip mentioned, and can also include significant weakness and muscle atrophy if left alone. Of the 3 nerves that travel into the hand and fingers (radial, ulnar & median) only the median nerve passes thru the carpal tunnel. The median nerve innervates the thumb and most commonly the index and middle finger. Sometimes the ring finger receives innervation, but not traditionally. Additionally, the pinky is innervated by the ulnar nerve, so numbness and tingling in the pinky is not attributed to CTS. Also, true bilateral CTS is quite rare, unless you happen to be a pregnant woman retaining a lot of water...

Just a little bit of info to have a better understanding of CTS...

I have minor Carpal Tunnel, and what OP is describing does not sound like Carpal Tunnel at all. When my wrist aches/tingles, I do some stretches and it goes away. My wrists do not hurt during presses.

OP has some other issue going on.