starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: chin ups difficulty

Default chin ups difficulty

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

Ive added chin ups to my workout but im really struggling with them. I used to be able to do about 8 ish per set when i first started working out but I have put on 45lb since then and not trained chin ups at all. Now I find even doing 1 is very hard. Ive started doing negatives but it doesn't seem to be helping much. I'm also quite fatigued by the time I get to chin ups as they are the last thing in the workout.

I do have a lat pull down attachment for my rack which ive never fitted, is it worth using that? Or alternatively doing rows? Or just carry on with the negatives?

Other lifts are: squat 87.5kg, press 45kg, deadlift 100kg. Bodyweight is 170lb (climbing slowly).

Thanks

Buy some assistance bands? They're handy for other things too.

edit below..

I think you're from the UK so try http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/acces.../prod_737.html

- get something like this, shop around for a better price if you like.

This is a good way to gradually improve your chinup til you can do bodyweight ones for sets. Good luck.
    Last edited by msingh; 07-03-2011 at 10:59 AM.

this is where that assistance machine which helps with weight from underneath comes in handy. i guess bands would do the same thing.

How do you use those bands? The link you sent to says 1 of each type included, do i need pairs? Thats gonna be expensive.

You dont need a pair.

Coach Shrek did a nice video showing how to use them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgvvUJkbDsY

+1 on the bands. I used one of the gray ones from EliteFTS and it really helped me get through the weight gain reps. They are really handy for stretching and whatnot as well.

Definitely bands. Start thick and try to do 3x10 and then go to lighter band when you can...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    Definitely bands. Start thick and try to do 3x10 and then go to lighter band when you can...
    Are bands really that much better than using one of those pullup machines with negative weight? That's what I've been using (started a few weeks ago at 3x5x-100, now at 3x5x-60). If bands are better, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    Are bands really that much better than using one of those pullup machines with negative weight? That's what I've been using (started a few weeks ago at 3x5x-100, now at 3x5x-60). If bands are better, why?
    Yes, bands are far better. Those machines are a waste of space.

starting strength coach development program
    If you're skint, try using a bicycle inner tube. Tie a knot in it to adjust the tension. £51.00 seems incredibly expensive for some rubber tubes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast