starting strength gym

Thread: Semi-supinated bench?

Default Semi-supinated bench?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I guess I just have a weird obsession with the bench lately:

You say that part of the reason we bench is because it's the heaviest pressing movement we can manage. I was thinking, what if we benched with a bar that had handles at 45 degree angles? Kind of like an E-Z Curl bar, but for benching? I guess my idea is that it would allow a heavier weight to be benched, while retaining the qualities of a free weight movement.

Any merit to this idea, or is it shit?

Why would it allow heavier weights to be used?

Well, I noticed when doing push ups in the past (on 6-sided dumbbells as handles) that they felt much easier when placed at 45 degree angles as opposed to completely perpendicular-placed dumbbells. I assumed this was because the weight was being more evenly distributed across my primary upper muscle groups.

I never tried a bench press this way, since I don't believe they make bars that would suffice, but I'm assuming that it might have the same effect.

All these assumptions. Have you also assumed that guys who have spent their lives specializing in the bench press have not thought about this?

I have noticed that in most cases the words immediately following "I would assume" are usually poorly thought out.

Football bar anyone?

True. Although to change the equipment used would make it no longer a technical bench. If their goal was to specialize in the specific movement that is now a bench press, then they would have no reason to change it. Like, if I want to become better at pressing kettlebells, I will press with kettlebells. Even if I recognize the barbell press as a superior movement for maximal strength, I wouldn't use it to develop kettlebell pressing strength.

However, I think you are right. I did a little more research, and it turns out they have made a "neutral grip" barbell for bench as well as a "Football bar" which incorporates my idea of the 45 degree angles. But it sounds like the only people they're really intended for are those with shoulder injuries.

And now that I think about it, a pronated grip would yield more tension in the bench press anyways.

As long as we are on the topic of bench press grip, Mark Bell and Mike Tuchscherer talk about an alternative grip that has the bar placed across the base of the palm differently and results in the elbows turned out. I think it's referred to as a "bulldog grip" because the hands look like they are turned inward like a bulldog's paws.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 11-01-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: video removed

We teach the same grip for both bench and press, because of the mechanics of the bar placement on the wrist.

I think his logic is stemming from the fact that one naturally feels a little stronger if the angle of the hands is turned in a little (not sure if necessarily 45 degrees, but maybe 30ish degrees?), as evidenced by the natural tendency to turn the hands in a little while doing DB Bench Presses. PressesPeople, is this correct?

(I have thought about the concept too, but it is just not realistic/feasible--and, as you said, would somewhat change the nature of the strength exercise itself)

starting strength coach development program
    Domjo, it is indeed feasible based on the "football bars" I have seen. However, it sounds like one actually engages stronger muscle groups by taking a normal bench grip. And yes, that was my initial logic.