starting strength gym

Thread: Requesting squat check

Default Requesting squat check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rip,

I'd appreciate your comments on my squat technique. I apologize for the crappy cinematography.

I reviewed "Active Hip" after noticing that my knees seemed to be caving in on my work sets. I'm trying to keep my knees out in this video. As you can see, I'm pushing them out at the bottom but they appear to come in somewhat during the ascent.

Is this acceptable form?

Thanks for your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54rBGBx2kaE

This degree of knee movement is not excessive, but the problem I think you have is trying to stay too vertical on the way down. This accounts for the back angle change as you come up, and the looseness this requires is contributing to your adduction.

Thanks very much for the reply.
    I never noticed the back angle issue before. If I understand correctly, by leaning forward more I can increase tension in the hamstrings and adductors and thus eliminate some of the knee movement?

To fix this issue, I should simply pitch forward more as I initiate the descent?

You should establish the back angle by the time your half-way down that you'll use to come up. Your mental picture of your back angle is still that of a front squat. Change your mental picture.

That figures. I think I developed this problem after a period of front squatting in lieu back squatting (due to grip-related tendinitis). Back squats haven't felt right since. Thanks very much!