starting strength gym

Thread: TM quandry, the end?

Default TM quandry, the end?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rip,

I am in something of a funk.

I have been doing TM for 55 weeks or so. 28 y/o, 5ft 7", 93kg, 10%bf. My best squat is 187.5kgX5, and rack pull of 230kgX5, 195kgX8 Halting, 82.5kgX1X8 olympic press.

I keep hitting stalls on my squat and not making my weekly PR's. I am currently stuck at 180kgX3.

I have tried a few things to remedy this:

(i)reduce the number of sets to 3 >> No PR's
    (ii)reduce the 5X5 volume weight to 85% of PR weight eg 152.5kg for 5X5 in order to squat 180kg for 5 >> Only managed to get 3 reps
    (iii)eating more protein, and more food, with more sleep >> just got fatter with no PR's

Do you think I have reached the end of TM? Or am I doing something glaringly wrong? It is pretty frustrating going home weekly with no new pr's and no progress.

I was thinking my options could be:
    (i)Increase the volume day 5X5 weight to 90% of PR weight, eg 162.5kg in order to squat 180kg for 5.
    (ii)Switch to Pyramid model of programming. Or 5/3/1.

My ultimate goal is to squat 195-200kg for 5, and do a powerlifting meet. Then go back onto a oly programme and utilise the newly developed strength. With a 200kgX5 squat, I think I stand a good chance to qualify for nationals.

Any ideas what is going on? Any advise?

Thank you for your time.

Without knowing the internal details of your training, e.g. rest between sets, microloading, wraps, belt, diet particulars, time of day you train, training partners, I can't say specifically. And neither can anyone else. Coaching like this is detail-dependent. But just guessing, I'd say you should move on to the split routine for a while, and then the pyramid model after that.