starting strength gym

Thread: Setting Up Texas Method for 52yr Old

Default Setting Up Texas Method for 52yr Old

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Background : 52 yrs old
    Weight : 205 - Started SS @ 183 and got up to 228 but backed off SS due to working 7 days a week this past summer . Numbers at end of SS are as follows .
    Squat : 345 5RM
    Bench : 235 5RM
    Deadlift : 365 RM

I know these numbers are not that great but I have had shoulder surgery 2 yrs ago for a labrum tear. I have a right knee that had ACL reconstruction that is full of arthritis now and I cannot get to ful extension, so I'm somewhat happy with them.. My main reason for thinking of running TM now is my recovery ability at 52 .

A couple of questions if I may coach .. I don't have access to a glute/ham and I was thinking of doing Rom. Deads on recovery day and was wondering if it is a good replacement ? Would you still use the recommened set/rep range as other assistance exercises or are they going to be too much a day after vol squats ?

The first week I did 235 5X5 squat on vol and 315 on intesity day and on 2nd look I think the vol. wght was too low and maybe 315 was too aggressive for the fist week ?The 315 went up fairly easy for a set at 5RM . Is there a percentage or should Vol day be just enough of a reduction to account for 5's across ? 2nd week I upped vol. squat to 265 5x5 and did 320 x 5 x1 on intensity day, still maybe too big of a gap ..

Last question. In PP on page 124 you say to do sets of 1,2 or 3 on intesnity day and to change them up, but on the sample workout you advice to do a 5M (which I have been doing so far) . Any reccomendation based on my age or numbers ? I'm sure I will do triples and doubles as a change up at some point soon ..

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I don't have access to a glute/ham and I was thinking of doing Rom. Deads on recovery day and was wondering if it is a good replacement ? Would you still use the recommened set/rep range as other assistance exercises or are they going to be too much a day after vol squats ?
    I'd just leave them out. Do your deadlifts on Monday and let that be the only pulls for the week.

The first week I did 235 5X5 squat on vol and 315 on intesity day and on 2nd look I think the vol. wght was too low and maybe 315 was too aggressive for the fist week ?The 315 went up fairly easy for a set at 5RM . Is there a percentage or should Vol day be just enough of a reduction to account for 5's across ? 2nd week I upped vol. squat to 265 5x5 and did 320 x 5 x1 on intensity day, still maybe too big of a gap ..
    I think you'll find that about 30 pounds is the gap at this level.

Last question. In PP on page 124 you say to do sets of 1,2 or 3 on intesnity day and to change them up, but on the sample workout you advice to do a 5M (which I have been doing so far) . Any reccomendation based on my age or numbers ? I'm sure I will do triples and doubles as a change up at some point soon ..
    Use 5s till they stall, then start switching between 3 doubles and 5 singles.

Thanks .. Maybe I will throw in some curls for the girls on Wed. then .. On second thought I only attract the ones with the blue hair now, so never mind ..

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Background : 52 yrs old
    Weight : 205 - Started SS @ 183 and got up to 228 but backed off SS due to working 7 days a week this past summer . Numbers at end of SS are as follows .
    Squat : 345 5RM
    Bench : 235 5RM
    Deadlift : 365 RM

I know these numbers are not that great but I have had shoulder surgery 2 yrs ago for a labrum tear. I have a right knee that had ACL reconstruction that is full of arthritis now and I cannot get to ful extension, so I'm somewhat happy with them.. My main reason for thinking of running TM now is my recovery ability at 52 .

A couple of questions if I may coach .. I don't have access to a glute/ham and I was thinking of doing Rom. Deads on recovery day and was wondering if it is a good replacement ? Would you still use the recommened set/rep range as other assistance exercises or are they going to be too much a day after vol squats ?

I am currently working on a few articles that will address programming for older strength trainees. The one I am working on now,will mainly apply to novices. The next one will most likely include intermediate programming...both Texas Method and a few other set ups that work well.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    I am currently working on a few articles that will address programming for older strength trainees. The one I am working on now,will mainly apply to novices. The next one will most likely include intermediate programming...both Texas Method and a few other set ups that work well.
    Will these be posted here?

I asked Andy to write them for us, because he is very good at programming our method, better than I am. Could be a book in it too.

Count me in for a pre-order.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    I am currently working on a few articles that will address programming for older strength trainees. The one I am working on now,will mainly apply to novices.
    I'm very interested in this especially for my father who is 69 years old and has been doing one leg dumbbell side raises on the bosu. He's very cautious about his back and needs to be sold on the ideas of squats and deadlifts.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I asked Andy to write them for us, because he is very good at programming our method, better than I am. Could be a book in it too.
    Book would be great. I purchased the print version of his first--helpful.