starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have tried to make the videos as described in your sticky: tripod mounted, 45 rear oblique view and lateral view of my last working set, as much light as I could get, high definition, clipped the prep part, roughly hip height, head to toe visible. Please let me know if I need to refilm these. I will not remove these videos from youtube after you comment on them.

I have gained 25 pounds (20 pounds non fat, and 5 pounds fat; from 135 to 165 pounds) on your program, for which I am very appreciative. I have a long way to go on increasing my lifts, and have learnt the hard way (by stalling) the improtance good technique. I have tried to fix as many issues as were visible to me by filming each of my squat work outs before filming these vidoes. I have had the tendency to let the bar move forward onto my toes during the squat, and have tried to correct this. I will keep working on improving my technique, and will appreciate your expert eye.

Wed 240 final set:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK-rBz9kJjY

Mon 235 final set:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VYtaQjQMX0

I don't see anything wrong with your squat. very good!

What did you do to try and fix the problem with the bar moving forward?

I have the same problem, and find it pretty difficult to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by rasmusDoh View Post
    What did you do to try and fix the problem with the bar moving forward?

I have the same problem, and find it pretty difficult to fix.
    I filmed myself, after I plateaued at 250 pounds and was unable to progress. I notice that I was letting my chest fall forward which resulted in the bar being over my toes at the bottom. I tried to correct this error mentally many times, but it kept recurring.

One thing which really helped: I squatted with an empty bar touching the uprights of my power rack!! when I would descend the bar would not be able to move forward because it was touching the uprights. This taught me how to descend without letting the bar move forward. I realized that the main changes I needed to make were to break at the hips 1st, focusing on shoving my hips back, and keeping my chest up during the descent. I also widened my stance a little bit and made sure my toes were pointing out about 30°. this may sound subtle, but these changes make the squat feel like a completely different exercise to me now.

once I made these changes to my technique I deloaded to 225 and am now trying to work my way back up to 250.

Hope this helps.....

i would really appreciate further feedback on my form? Is there anything I need to adjust?

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for your answer.

I'm looking at both of your videos, and i find it hard to find anything wrong.

I think your form is really good!