starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Testosterone replacement for older trainees

Default Testosterone replacement for older trainees

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Rip, at the SSS in Brooklyn a few interesting points were brought up regarding testosterone replacement for older trainees. Could you give some tips for guys who are interested on taking steps towards test replacement. I brought it up to an older client of mine and he said he has thought about this before, however, his doc recommends against it and so he is sort of at a dead end. Should he find a different doc? Go online? I assume dosing this sort of thing is very individual to the person, and an hematocrit of some sort is in order. What resting test levels should one be aiming to attain through therapy? Any info would help. Thanks

Default Testosterone Supplementation

Hey Rip.
    I enjoyed the seminar in Brooklyn last weekend. I was curious about your exchange with Dr. Mike about testosterone supplementation. What are the side effects that Dr. Mike/ conventional wisdom worry about? I did some very brief research and I saw something about men getting breasts and correlation with certain cancers. Before I continue to dig, I was wondering if you had good sources of information on the topic?
    Thanks,
    Ben

He needs to find a better doctor, one who is actually familiar with TRT. Ben, you haven't done any research. You've just read a couple of things. Read this: http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMra022251

It may not be available online as full-text. If they want you to buy it, do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    He needs to find a better doctor, one who is actually familiar with TRT. Ben, you haven't done any research. You've just read a couple of things. Read this: http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMra022251

It may not be available online as full-text. If they want you to buy it, do so.
    Don't pay money for access to the journal companies. They're almost universally a bunch of fucking parasites.

Use and support your local library instead.

What if your local library doesn't have NEJM?

What if your local library doesn't have NEJM?
    Then I guess he has to make the decision on whether or not the contents of this article are worth $15 to him, or if similar information can be gathered elsewhere.

Also, always check PubMed. This particular article turns out to still be closed, but searching for it produced this one:

Why Is Androgen Replacement in Males Controversial? (2011)

and this one:

Testosterone replacement therapy: current trends and future directions (2004)

both have full text available.

Tersh, you're a pain in the ass sometimes. The man asked me for the reference I liked, I gave it to him. And you start bitching about the evil publishers. If you hate them sufficiently, make a copy of the paper and send it to David and Ben. Okay?

Tersh, you're a pain in the ass sometimes. The man asked me for the reference I liked, I gave it to him. And you start bitching about the evil publishers. If you hate them sufficiently, make a copy of the paper and send it to David and Ben. Okay?
    You know you wouldn't like me if I weren't a pain in the ass sometimes.

Also, I'd be happy to provide a copy of the paper to David and Ben, if they want it.

I refuse to put fuel in my car because oil companies are mean. I similarly refuse to surf the Internet because Comcast is a shitty company. Also, everything should be free.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I refuse to put fuel in my car because oil companies are mean. I similarly refuse to surf the Internet because Comcast is a shitty company. Also, everything should be free.
    I recognize you're not an academic, and so you probably aren't familiar with the issues surrounding academic publishing, so let me rephrase it for you:

You mean you refuse to design your car on your own dime, critique the design of some other people's cars on your own dime, and then pay for someone else to sell it back to you at exorbitant rates, while simultaneously giving up all your rights to it.

And at the same time they also occasionally build and sell cars they know could be pieces of shit, and treat them the same as yours and those you spend your time and energy critiquing.

I'm not arguing that everything should be free. I'm arguing that authors of scientific works should retain the rights to their published work as a matter of course. That academic publishers shouldn't be gouging the public and public institutions. And they certainly shouldn't be passing off industry internal company work as peer-reviewed science. It honest-to-god weighs quite heavily on me that these shitmittens have a substantial influence on the trajectory of my career.

However, I didn't particularly want to jack this thread by ranting about the racket that is academic publishing, so I just cursed them and suggested a way for the OP to save $15.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast