starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How is it possible that Richard Hawthorne is so strong?

Default How is it possible that Richard Hawthorne is so strong?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    The premise of the SS training plan is that by training hard, eating plenty, and getting sufficient rest, you will put your body in a state where it builds muscle and thereby causes you to increase in weight. Don't get me wrong - this makes total sense.

But what I'd like to know is, how is it possible that small individuals have also achieved great strength. Look at Richard Hawthorne, who weighs 130 and deadlifts 600.

http://www.wlox.com/story/24938152/r...n-in-the-world

I get that this is an anomaly and not easily repeatable by other skinny individuals, but my question is simply how is it physiologically possible?

The guy has a small frame, but it does look like he has a lot of muscle for his size. The powerlifts are a lot about leverage too, and he has good leverage for deadlift especially. If he gained a lot of weight, I am not sure how much the lifts would go up. It probably wouldn't be proportional though. He has found a place were he is strong while being as light as possible, which is important for a weight class sport.

He's a good example of why you don't need to gain weight to be strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    This statement *seems* contrary to what I have read on this site. So I guess my question could be rephrased as, "Is it simply that gaining weight is the most efficient way to get stronger, or that gaining weight (for all but a few genetically gifted individuals) is actually necessary to get stronger?"

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scottster View Post
    This statement *seems* contrary to what I have read on this site. So I guess my question could be rephrased as, "Is it simply that gaining weight is the most efficient way to get stronger, or that gaining weight (for all but a few genetically gifted individuals) is actually necessary to get stronger?"
    Way too much emphases is put on gaining weight. The GOMAD thing is absolutely ridiculous.

How do humans get stronger?

What are the adaptations that contribute to increased force production?
    Last edited by John Hanley; 12-21-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    How do humans get stronger?

What are the adaptations that contribute to increased force production?
    Neural efficiency is probably number 1 for beginners. They don't need to grow to put weight on the bar, they just have to get good at it.

I think Shug makes a good point, even though I am a 6'6" SHW. I would work on getting stronger first and then slowly add weight over time.

It's all about strengthening your Tendons and Ligaments by training with progressively heavier weights.

I sorta hate to say this, but after a lengthy discussion on another thread, I think the secret to his strength is due to his training with TnG RDL <smirk>

starting strength coach development program
    He is only 5'3 @ 130lb. Thats 2.06lb per inch of height. If he is only 5% bodyfat (which I would expect at that weight) then he has 1.96lb per inch LBM.

Take someone who is 5'10" and 200lb but 20% bodyfat, thats 2.28 lb per inch LBM. So only 10% difference and being so short his leverages will be better.

Plus competitive lifters use very extreme cutting techniques before a comp. He could have easily been 140lb 2 weeks before his comp.

But taking that example aside, he has done well to get that strong for his size. Fair play to him. Its not something most people could achieve. Its not something I'll achieve no matter how much weight I gain, but thats fine too.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast