starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight lifting shoes for athletes

Default Weight lifting shoes for athletes

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Few questions here...Should athletes (I play football) wear weight lifting shoes while squatting? Would weightlifting shoes or flat shoes carryover more into sports? Also, are there any flat weight lifting shoes with a hard sole? Thanks!

Why wouldn't you wear shoes that appropriate the activity you are doing?

Please use the search and refer to the books when possible, as many of these questions are answered therein.

Using a lifting shoe will carry over fine into your sport. You're training for strength. Train optimally for the strength, and the strength will carry over.

There are a number of options for shoes. A search will present them. Many examples are present on roguefitness.com.

A viable flat soles shoe might be converse all stars. Otherwise there are some other flat soled options.

Whatever makes you the most strong carries over best to sports that depend on strength, which is most of them, certainly football. If shoes allow you to be more stable, apply more force between floor and barbell, and achieve better mechanics allowing you to squat more weight, they'll make you stronger, and this will carry over better to football than not being as strong would. This has been discussed ad nauseum here, so feel free to search (hint: use google, the first term in the search box should be site:startingstrength.com, then put in your other search terms, "oly shoes" "weightlifting shoes" etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Conde View Post
    Please use the search and refer to the books when possible, as many of these questions are answered therein.

Using a lifting shoe will carry over fine into your sport. You're training for strength. Train optimally for the strength, and the strength will carry over.

There are a number of options for shoes. A search will present them. Many examples are present on roguefitness.com.

A viable flat soles shoe might be converse all stars. Otherwise there are some other flat soled options.
    I have converses, but feel they aren't nearly as hard on the sole as weightlifting shoes...Are there any flat shoes with weight lifting shoe quality hardness on the soles? Thanks!

Post Search.

Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    I have converses, but feel they aren't nearly as hard on the sole as weightlifting shoes...Are there any flat shoes with weight lifting shoe quality hardness on the soles? Thanks!
    Search.

From http://startingstrength.com/resource...d.php?t=49426& per the above search:

"Try the sabo deadlift shoe. Flat plastic sole, high top, metatarsal and ankle straps."

Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    The flattest I've seen have a 1/2" heel. I think Jordan had a pair cobbled flat.

Just get some weightlifting shoes with a heel. You will like them, your feet will be happy, and wearing them will not in any way impede your abilities to play football.

You play football now?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    You play football now?
    I think he should squat in cleats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast