starting strength gym

Thread: Squat help, if you would be so kind

Default Squat help, if you would be so kind

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    27/m/6'0"/195lb

In case you deem it useful, I will give a short background on my squatting history. My couple previous go-rounds with SS never saw my squat climb above 225 for 5 despite my best efforts. At my age and size, I would expect this to be an easy warm-up set by the end of LP. Unfortunately, this time around has been no different.

I got stuck right at 2 plates again, and reset all the way down to 175 to fix my form. The bar was off center on my back, causing the bar to lean down heavily to one side, and my hips would come out of the bottom to the right, and then work back to the left. I have gotten this mostly figured out, and was hopeful that fixing this, plus adding the use of a belt for the first time would finally see me plow right through my plateau.

I actually did hit all my reps today at 230 for a lifetime PR, but damn was it a grind. What I am hoping for is for one you very generous coaches to lend your expertise and tell me if there is anything in general that you can cue me an easy fix for. I would also greatly appreciate a comment on my depth, and possibly if my proportions could have something to do with my squat struggles (so I can finally have a semi legit excuse).

Thank you so very much for your continued generosity of your time and expertise!

https://youtu.be/gHX6MjFcwy8

Your stance is far too narrow and most of your squats are about an inch high. Widening your stance to shoulder width will keep you from rolling to the outside of your feet and help with depth. Also, you don't need to jack up your elbows so high. Honestly, your bar speed isn't bad. You aren't really grinding yet. I predict that stance change will help keep things going. You can be a little heavier, too. Don't be afraid to eat.

Thank you very much Coach Campitelli. Your feedback means a lot to me.

I actually had narrowed my stance because a fellow forum member (way stronger than me) suggested to do so to help prevent my knees from caving in.

Today, I widened it back out and made sure to get deeper; and it resulted in a fail fest.

I will say that Monday and Tuesday are my poor sleep nights due to scheduling (5-6 hours), but given that it's also my 2 day break I wouldn't expect it to effect it this much. On the other 5 nights I do my best to get 8+.

I started 3 months ago at 195 and am still 195, but have definitely recomped quite a bit. I had basically no muscles when I started out. I suppose it is time to start gaining, I just didn't want my bodyfat getting out of control (est 25% starting out). I do get 200+g of protein and eat pretty clean but could definitely up my carbs and calories.

Sorry this got long winded; I've had so much frustration trying to get my squat past this point (got up to 210lb bw last time I was lifting), and nothing seems to work. Seeing newcomers come in time and time again and LP right into the 300s without issue makes it all the harder.

Anyway, here is my 230x3 from tonight. I think I would have had a 35% chance at the 4th rep but didn't want to risk it due to sleeping baby and potentially angry wife.

https://youtu.be/XsuS-1_OVlE

I then deloaded 10% figuring that I will work back up with proper depth. I will throw in my 3rd set at 205 for the heck of it, but totally understand if you ignore it due to the 1 video rule.

https://youtu.be/vE5zZDWnu9Y

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    I actually had narrowed my stance because a fellow forum member (way stronger than me) suggested to do so to help prevent my knees from caving in.
    If they suggested that you narrow your stance to as narrow as you were, I disagree with them. In fact, you could probably still be a half inch to an inch wider.

Today, I widened it back out and made sure to get deeper; and it resulted in a fail fest.
    Going deeper makes the squat harder. This is not unexpected. Deload a little.

I started 3 months ago at 195 and am still 195, but have definitely recomped quite a bit. I had basically no muscles when I started out. I suppose it is time to start gaining, I just didn't want my bodyfat getting out of control (est 25% starting out). I do get 200+g of protein and eat pretty clean but could definitely up my carbs and calories.
    While the goal is not to turn you into a fat ass, realize that being overly precious with calories and macronutrients can get you in trouble. If you are not naturally big and strong, realize that you may need to get a bit fluffy on the way to putting on lean body mass. That doesn't mean go nuts and eat tubs of ice cream, but you will not build muscle on a caloric deficit.

Sorry this got long winded; I've had so much frustration trying to get my squat past this point (got up to 210lb bw last time I was lifting), and nothing seems to work. Seeing newcomers come in time and time again and LP right into the 300s without issue makes it all the harder.
    You haven't tried everything yet. You have a new baby, yes? Wanna know what happens to your testosterone levels right after having a kid? Not good things. Have you ever had your testosterone levels checked? Might be something to consider. It at least gives you some info. Also, sleep may be a problem for you because of the kiddo.

Sets across may not be the right thing at the moment. Consider making 2.5 pound jumps going to 1x5 followed by 2x5 at 95% for squats and alternating heavy/light days on the squat. For light days, do 2x5 at 80% of your last heavy work sets. See if this buys you some more progress.

Eat red meat, look at boobies, watch Mad Max, and do your best to sleep.

Coach, your feedback is invaluable to me and I will certainly apply all of your suggestions. Much, much appreciated.

I do not want to put Jordan's name to it because I cannot recall if it was him or someone else, but I definitely remember reading a suggestion from a trusted source that you do not really ever want to go above 20% bf, so I have been kind of operating with that in the back of my mind. I figured that once I reign it in to a reasonable level, I could then go for a gain. From the sounds of it, now is the right time, even if I estimate myself at still around 20%? Would it be easy enough to cut fat whenever I decide I need to? I've heard contradictory information on that last question.

I have never had my T levels checked. And yes, I do have a 7 month old baby, so my recovery is far from optimal. Because of this, I had already added in a light squat day (2x5 @80% like you said) in the middle of my training week. Microloading the squat was something I had started to think about, but did not really see it being done often, if ever, so you suggesting it is cool and will hopefully help continue to push my squat up. The 5% back-off method after one top set seems great too.

Due to scheduling, I'm going to have to cut my training to twice per week actually. I'm thinking that I'll initially try for 5 lb jumps each time, then 2.5lb, then making the day that I deadlift on a light or medium (3x5 @90%?) squat day. Does that sound reasonable or will only training twice per week likely mean that I'll need to try to push the squat kind of hard both times at my level of training?

Sorry for all the questions. Last one: since you did not mention it, am I safe to assume that there are no glaring technical deficiencies in my squat?

Thanks again Coach for your time!

Being above 20% bodyfat is not ideal, but it is not going to kill you either. You have the right idea in that you don't want to just put on weight for the hell of it, but you are hardly a porker. Put on five pounds in the next two months. That's a very manageable thing. If your lifts do not improve, then we know that is not the problem.

Is cutting fat easy? No, not really. With some discipline it can be straightforwardly accomplished. Losing five or ten pounds for a 200 pound male is not very difficult, however.

If you can only train two days a week, do what you can. See if five pound jumps work. If not, try 2.5. You are struggling to make the weight on the bar increase. If 2.5 pound jumps allow for that, then do it. Don't miss workouts. Go in with a positive attitude. See where you are in three months.

Your squats, aside from your elbows being jacked up too high are essentially textbook.

Also, how long do you rest between sets?

So if you called my deadlift textbook, and now my squat, does that mean I should be expecting my SSC Credential in the mail shortly?

Just kidding. I'm fully aware that I would need to gain a ton more knowledge and experience, and get a heck of a lot stronger, before even thinking about attempting to attain one.

To answer your question, depending on how hot and humid my garage is, anywhere between 7 and 10 minutes for work sets.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, you aren't rushing your sets by resting only 2 or 3 minutes between. Carry on and keep at it. Let's see where you are in a few weeks.