starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder injury,leg press

Default Shoulder injury,leg press

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hope I can get some advice I am 65 yo male,210 lbs 5'10" . I got back into training last November after quite a few year layoff.I was doing ok making some slow progress. Sqt 195, DL 260 Bp 160 press 107 all for a 5 rep max. I now have a pretty severe shoulder injury. It started almost two months ago while benching. I was able to do overhead press on next WO, but next bench WO was a no go. I have went for four ART treatments and it seemed to help. I have not done any pressing, just some rotator cuff rehab stuff using 5 lb Dumbbells and bands. But decided to stop since reading Ripps option on them. I have still been able to DL and sqt using the saftey sqt bar. I was still doing pulldowns, LTE and curls with out too much pain. Yesterday for some reason while doing nothing to aggravate the shoulder the pain got worse,I had a hard time sleeping. I am taking ibuprofen and icing. I am thinking it would be best to rest the arms completely, no squatting or DL. I do have a Hammer Iso lateral leg press machine. I was thinking I would start using it again. It has been collecting dust in my basement. Just wondered what type program to use. How many reps and sets and days to train . Would this at least allow me to keep some sqt and DL strength. After I allow the shoulder to heal I will start a LP program as a geezer novice.Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by BrooklynJerry; 09-22-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Now, I'm brand new here and probably don't have any business chiming in, but you need to get an MRI done to find out what's going on, and then come back to get advice on a training/rehab program for it. It could be several different things, and the advice is different depending on what the underlying issue is.

Your advice is well taken and probably what I should do,but I am not a doctor kind of guy. I had this same problem over twenty years ago on the right shoulder . I did get am MRI at that time and was told it was an imprigment. I did get a cortisone shot then and it relieved the pain for a while. I rested the shoulder, didn't do anything to aggravate the join and it healed ok.
    I should have done the same thing now, but stupidly while not doing any pressing I did do pulldowns curls and LTE and some.rotater cuff rehab work. I should have given the injury more time to heal.thanks taking the time to answer.

Start pressing again, and give up the bench until you are back at your work weight. Pressing is good for the shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    I have went for four ART treatments and it seemed to help.
    If ART helped, then you have a soft tissue problem, probably trigger points in one of the rotator cuff muscles. You can't rely on occasional ART treatments, you need to learn to treat this yourself. Initially, it may take several times of day working the trigger points, maybe even between sets, but as the pain goes away it will take less frequent treatment. You'll need a lacrosse ball and/or a Theracane, depending on where the problem lies:

Amazon.com: Thera Cane Massager: Health & Personal Care

starting strength coach development program
    I am going ask the Chiropractor tomorrow about the injury. I do know it is they same thing that happened on the rt shoulder years ago. It hurts to press at the top of the lift. The greatest pain is when pressure is released on the joint. Happened Saturday starting my weed whacked, I pulled,the cord no problem, but when it got to the end and lost tension the pain in the shoulder was the worst. Same thing walking my dog tonite, I know I should have used the rt arm,but he has always been trained to walk on the left. As I had tension on the leash he moved closer to me the leash went slack and the pain was there. Not as bad as it has been,Mobutu I have been doing the ibuprofen dosage and had just iced the shoulder so it was somewhat numb.