starting strength gym

Thread: bench form check

Default bench form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024

You need to video from closer to 7:30, 8:00, and not so close to 9:00.. because from this angle, the plates are blocking all the most crucial joints for us to judge the form!

i can say based on this however that your bar speed looks good and the bar seems to go up in a good path, and seems balanced.

Are you doing any leg drive/back arch?

Will do a different camera angle next time.
    I am attempting leg drive. My bench is currently a little tall so I am having difficulty getting a good straight back drive. I am doing what I can while keeping my butt on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff LC View Post
    You need to video from closer to 7:30, 8:00, and not so close to 9:00.. because from this angle, the plates are blocking all the most crucial joints for us to judge the form!

i can say based on this however that your bar speed looks good and the bar seems to go up in a good path, and seems balanced.

Are you doing any leg drive/back arch?

A better angle will help a lot, but the main thing I noticed from this is that your bar path is a little inconsistent. On a lot of reps it's pretty good. Looks like you're touching your sternum and pressing back diagonally to a spot directly above your shoulder. On several reps you're pressing straight up from your sternum, and then pulling the bar back to the position over your shoulders once your arms are fully extended.

If your bench is too high for you to get your feet flat on the ground, you could try putting something under your feet. Normally I'd say plates, but I'm not sure if iron plates on a concrete floor would slide on you.

Yeah, find a way to get those heels on something stable. And I'll admit it's tough to see, but on set three it seems you could set up with your eyes a little more toward the bar. Your unracking seemed to have the bar traveling further than I'd expect.