starting strength gym

Thread: Video: Don't Bail on your Squats

Stupid question (but that might be appropriate considering how many stupid questions I’ve asked in my life): For the unspotted squat, EVERY rep one EVER performs in EVERY work set should end either in successful completion or in lowering the bar to the safety pins.

Do I have that right?

Yes, with an emphasis on not lowering it to the pins. An actual injury would be the exception to this rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, with an emphasis on not lowering it to the pins. An actual injury would be the exception to this rule.
    Meaning an emphasis on successfully completing the rep right?

In other words, if I successfully complete 3 reps of a 5 rep set, rep 4 better end up as either successful or as a failed rep (with the bar ending up on the pins) no matter how hard I had to grind out rep 3. The same will then apply to rep 5 if rep 4 was successfully completed. No way do I say "Rep 3, though successful, was almost impossible (and made me feel sad) so I'm not going to even attempt rep 4."

I'd rather be thought of as a pedantic prick then as a pussy. Is my formulation of your video correct?

John, have you never had the experience of finishing a 4th rep with a "grind," and said to yourself, "Fuck that was hard, but I have one more to do," tried it, and got it?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    John, have you never had the experience of finishing a 4th rep with a "grind," and said to yourself, "Fuck that was hard, but I have one more to do," tried it, and got it?
    Yes. Even with my 3rd rep where I had TWO left. But I’ve also bailed when a successful rep was perceived as too difficult. Your formulation of this issue puts blame properly on me.

That’s a good thing and I know I’ll be thinking of this video when it occurs to me to bail after completing a real grinder of a rep that’s not my fifth one. On some level we all know this but hearing it affirmed is helpful. If it wasn’t, there would have been no reason for you to have mentioned it.

Think of it Mark, even dense lifters like me can benefit from a video primarily about a safety issue that also had a fairly deep core idea thrown in.