starting strength gym

Thread: HipShift with Squat

Default HipShift with Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi All,

I'm really struggling with my squat. I have rather excessive hipshift to the right when I squat and my back also looks a bit twisted. I've gone to PT for months with no results and am unsure what to do next. PT said my legs were the same length. Unsure if I should be stretching a hip internal/external or strengthening a glute. If I try I can shove my right knee out way more than my left.

Video has me squatting without weight then with a little. I've experimented with a variety of stretches and exercises, feel like I'm just guessing in the dark.

Squat:
    TrimmedSquatHipShift.mp4 - Google Drive

Thanks for taking a look!

I see some asymmetry, but not enough to waste a bunch of money with a Physical Therapist. Post a heavy set of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I see some asymmetry, but not enough to waste a bunch of money with a Physical Therapist. Post a heavy set of 5.
    I added some weight to the bar and took a video from the back and from a 45 degree angle. Appreciate you taking the time to look at this!

Video from Rear:
    HipShiftWithWeightFlipped.mp4 - Google Drive

Video from 45 Degree:
    Trimmed45DegreeWithWeight.mp4 - Google Drive

Again, I see some asymmetry, and it's probably a leg length discrepancy they didn't know how to assess. I can look at it here, but not in a video. But it's not severe enough that you can't train. Keep your hips to the right on the way up until the video looks better.

Ok, great to hear that I can start adding weight to the bar. One follow up question would be whether or not there is point where I should check in on this or ensure that this has been corrected to avoid injury and if so whether you have advice for next steps. For now I'll focus on adding weight to the bar and my hips.
    For reference, I'm 5'10", about 170lbs.

Thanks again for the advice.

starting strength coach development program
    Keep track of it on video every workout.