starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Any guidance on the deadlift form shown in the video would be great. I'm pretty sure my ass could do with being lower and my chest pulled back more. I'm getting some lower back soreness immediately after my sets which i've not had before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXvcwlOyTxQ

Thanks in advance!

I think you would benefit from an extra second or two of setup before each rep. You are not that far off but it looks like you lift your chest right into the deadlift. Your back is slightly rounded at the start of the pull.

Try gripping the bar, bending down and then squeeze your chest up like your nipples are lasers and you want to point them at the wall infront of you. At this point your lower back should get tight and you should focus hard on keeping it flat and contracted.

Now that you are in position with your chest up and back flat you can start pulling with a strong focus on keeping the lower back tight and flat.

Thanks Corrie. Love the cue, i'll try that next time I'm deadlifting.

You need to look down at the floor. Also, those are the worst plates for deadlifting--I agree to take more time to straighten them out between reps. I won't deadlift with plates like that and would find a new gym if you have options.

Thanks Hollis. My gym also has the round iron plates. Better to use them?

Quote Originally Posted by laufhc View Post
    Thanks Hollis. My gym also has the round iron plates. Better to use them?
    Yes! They will sit back down right where you put them. The straight edge ones will move around and mess up your setup from rep to rep.

starting strength coach development program
    HAd a session today. Dropped my weight slightly to try and get back into good form habits. Sat back a bit, used the 'nipples as lasers' cue, took the time to set myself before each rep. Felt much, much more activation in my legs which is clearly taking the excess strain away from my back. Much better!