starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form and depth check

Default Squat form and depth check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Looking for some input on today's top workset (1+ week of 5/3/1).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dJyXvDRoK6Q#t=30s

I think the first few reps look ok. As I get tired, the bar gets forward of the mid foot, and my knees slide forward at the bottom which robs me of some depth and some of the bounce. The last rep is a few inches high.

Am I in the ballpark with the analysis here?

Your head is moving around all over the place. At the beginning, you look down at your feet to set them but, you don't set your gaze at 5 feet ahead. On the ascent, your head moves up. Set your feet, set your gaze and keep your head there.

The last rep was the only one with a significant bar path issue, but it was deep enough. Mr. Legs is correct when he suggests that keeping your head in one place would be a good idea. As you noted, your knees drift a bit, but it is not awful. Your squats actually look pretty good. Eating some more would only help matters.

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that I'm seeing the right things. As for the head movement, I've gone as far as to draw a dot on the wall in front of me to stare at, but I have a bad habit of losing focus on it when things get heavy. Also, point taken on the body weight Tom. I'll continue to work on it.