starting strength gym

Thread: Lowbar Squat Form Check Please

Default Lowbar Squat Form Check Please

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey, beginner here, already posted a few times, sorry for spamming the forum every 2 weeks with form videos, but I really want to avoid risk any injuries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rVWKFfIFC0

am I doing this right? it's a pr for me, and please ignore the last almost failed rep

how can I improve my form?

Congrats on a PR. You seem to be inconsistent on your set-up during the set; during most of the reps you appear to initiate the squat prior to fixing your eye gaze. You looked straight ahead, then looked forward and down once you began. Also, I could not tell what was going on with your breathing, make sure you valsalva prior to initiating your squat.

Lastly, you appear to have knee slide on your 2d and 4th reps. This could lead to hip flexor pain as the weight increases.

4 Reps?
    Last edited by Mike Troxell; 05-15-2015 at 09:25 PM.

1. Troxm25 has noticed that your valsalva maneuver is inconsistent. It's also inefficient. Keep your chest up and your back tight when your breathe (breath with your stomach/diaphram... not by collapsing your chest carriage). Take a bigger breath and squeeze much harder.

2. Again, fix you gaze before you begin.

3. You are moving your hips backwards, but you aren't also breaking at the knees at the same time. I think this is contributing to point 4.

4. Your toes should point out more, and you need to shove your knees out much harder. Review the material on the site for "Active Hip 2.0" and SHOVE EM OUT. You should fix your knee position in the upper third of the descent. Your shins should be stationary. Make your knees the pivot point and not your ankles.

Work on these and post another video.