starting strength gym

Thread: Sore Delts After the Squat

Default Sore Delts After the Squat

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,
    On NLP for about 4 months, took three weeks off for a camping trip. regret the hiatus) NLP was going fine, went to a squat camp which was helpful for technique.
    Came back from the trip and restarted NLP. Suddenly, when I squat, I finish with very sore delts and into my triceps. Working on getting my grip closer and elbows down. After about 2 weeks of this struggle, I feel like I have the squat yips. The bar is rolling on my back, my arms are dead, and I can't get it back together.
    Video below. Any tips or cues would be appreciated. Thanks for all you all do!
    36yo 6'1" BW 235Ib

September 28, 2023 - YouTube

These squats are all a bit high. Chalk your shirt, narrow your grip, lower your elbows, and rebound out of good depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    These squats are all a bit high.
    The last one was, but the rest hit depth. Pretty much looks exactly like the cover of the blue book.

Oh, okay. Got it.

As someone who has found every conceivable way to squat wrongly, I have some experience with bar rolling. In my case, my plates usually rolled substantially forward at the bottom of my lift and then backwards at the top, and the normal marks on my scapula from the barbell would become more abrasion-like after a while.

Self-diagnosing (complete amateur, here) always pointed back to a soft thoracic spine. I'm also pretty sure this can also send the elbows up and probably lots of other bad things, too.

Might be worth it to check yourself during warmups to make sure you're good and hard before unracking. Also keep your spine rigid, too.

They do, watch it again. I'm not being a dick. I also want to give the kid credit for his back angle and grinding through the reps. Knees sliding a bit on the bottom. TUBOW may be useful here as well though.

Quote Originally Posted by oface View Post
    As someone who has found every conceivable way to squat wrongly, I have some experience with bar rolling. In my case, my plates usually rolled substantially forward at the bottom of my lift and then backwards at the top, and the normal marks on my scapula from the barbell would become more abrasion-like after a while.
    A badly-bent bar can be useful in this situation.

starting strength coach development program
    Worked on the elbows and grip.
    Definitely looks and feels like it's improving.
    October 3, 2023 - YouTube
    After the 1st one I start to lift my head on the way up and the bar started to creep up my back. Something new to work on.
    Thanks Rip for the help!