starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat & Deadlift form Check

Default Squat & Deadlift form Check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey guys…I’ve been trying to work on sone of the suggestions that I received from the forum a few weeks ago so I figured I should post for some more feedback. I train at home so the forum and the feedback is invaluable. Thank you all in advance.

Squat
    Squat 3rd Set - 300lbs - YouTube

My biggest question is involving my weight distribution. Based on what I can feel/see my weight gets forward a bit toward the bottom. (I notice my heels not having as much weight on them). It seems the more I try to “bend over” and present my chest to the floor, the more I feel that forward lean at the bottom. Do I just need to sit back more?

Deadlift
    Deadlift-375 - YouTube

Just looking for general feedback here.

Thanks again in advance.

Squat: slow your reps waaaaaay down. You're pitching forward because the bar is "falling" into your rapidly receding back, so it has a little forward momentum at the bottom. Don't "fall" into the bottom. Move with purpose.

Deadlifts look okay. You don't fully complete step 4, doing it as kind of the first step of the pull (which you start with straight arms). This is less of a problem on reps 2-5. The position you're in after the bar breaks the floor the first time is the position you should be in before the pull even starts.

Also, lower your gaze. Your neck should be in line with your torso, not craned forward.

Thanks for the response. I will try to actively slow down my descent. It doesn’t feel to me like I’m going quickly, but I understand what you are saying about the downward momentum of the bar.

I do feel like I am in better position on reps 2-5 than on the first one on a regular basis. I will try to give step 4 more time before I begin the lift. And I know I should be looking down…not sure why I’m not.

Any more thoughts and insights are appreciated. Thanks.

I dropped weight a bit and tried to actively slow down my descent. It seemed to help some with my weight shifting forward but it looks as if it is still happening some. Do I need to slow down more and just focus on that? Or are there other adjustments I need to make?

Set 1
    Set 1 -275 - YouTube

Set 2
    Set 2- 275 - YouTube

Set 3
    Set 3 - 275 - YouTube

Thanks in advance.

Slower still.

Your knees are just a hair ahead of your hips.

Keep driving your ass up out of the bottom.

Today’s squat sets. Tried to slow down even more.

Set 1
    Squat Set 1- 280 lbs - YouTube

Set 2
    Squat Set 2- 280 lbs - YouTube

Set 3
    Squat Set 3- 280 lbs - YouTube

Todays deadlift. I tried to seperate step 4 from the initial push on the floor. As you can see, rep 1 was significantly more difficult than the other. I believe the bar is coming back toward me off the floor on the first rep but not on the others? Is this what you guys are seeing also?

Deadlift- 390 lbs - YouTube

You're still going too fast. You're "flinging" your chest down which is causing the bar to move forward of midfoot. You should go down at about the same speed as the first rep comes up. Th "master cue" is helpful here: keep the bar above midfoot thought-out the rep. The extra as attention you'll have to pay to the descent should help slow it down.

Ok. Thanks.

Does bar placement look ok to you guys? Sometimes I feel like it is wanting to roll forward or up my back. I know this usually indicates it is too high, but could this also just be the momentum of the car by going down too fast?

Here’s my latest workout..kept the weight the same and really tried to focus in on the “master cue” and keeping the bar over midfoot. ( I took the first set from the side and the other 2 from the rear quarter)

Set 1
    Squat Set 1- 280 - YouTube

Set 2
    Squat Set 2- 280 - YouTube

Set 3
    Squat Set 3- 280 - YouTube

I think it still needs work, but it seemed like an improvement from my perspective.

The bar was rolling quite a bit on the first set especially…does my bar placement look ok?

Thanks for your continued help. I really want to get this down.

starting strength coach development program
    Your bar position is fine. The bar is rolling forward because the bar is drifting forward, off balance

Speed is better, but you see how your back angle gets noticeably more horizontal as the rep goes on, and the bar drifts forward? That's the problem. The "leaning over" to establish the back angle has to happen fast, at the top of the rep, at which point the hips and the chest drop at the same speed and *the back angle stays constant*. Your chest is dropping faster (and farther) than your hips. "Stay in your hips" might be a good cue here: the hips are what descends, not the chest. The chest leans over, but then is just along for the ride as the hips drop down. Don't "fold up" into the bottom by lowering your chest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast