starting strength gym

Thread: Press Form Check

Default Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if I could get a critic of my press form. I have been lifting on and off for several years now but have always struggled with the press. I have never achieved 60kg/133lb for 5 reps. I'm hoping this time by doing Starting Strength program and form I can achieve it.
    Apologises in the video I am shoeless, you can't see. Its only because when wearing shoes the barbell/weights can sometimes hit the ceiling, as the ceiling is too low.

Video: Press Form Check - 42.5kg/94lb - BW @ 91kg/200lb - YouTube

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Have you read the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you read the book?
    In the middle of reading it now. Is there something I've done terribly wrong? I guess one thing I noticed is that I don't have much of a hip bounce.

You can start with a strict press. These are kind of all over the place. Your elbows need to be "up", supporting the bar at the bottom. Your eyes need to be looking straight ahead. Your chin should not be elevated. Your grip is too wide: your forearms should be kind of "in front" of your upper arms, not splayed out so the bar is touching your throat. Read the book *carefully.* If it still isn't clicking, find a coach.

I see, I suppose I have very narrow shoulders then as I'm already on the edge of the knurl with my grip. Anyways, I'll make those changes and see how they go. Thanks for the help

The grip width is designed to produce vertical forearms with the hands as close to the shoulders as possible. The reason for this is in the book.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you Mr Rippetoe, I'll re-read the book more carefully.