starting strength gym

Thread: Press Grip Width

Default Press Grip Width

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,
    Currently I am trying to fix my press grip width so that it produces vertical forearms from the front and sides. I tested a couple grip widths, and found that it took about one-thumb length from the inside edge of the knurl in order to get a vertical forearm. However, something tells me I shouldn't be going this wide even though I do have vertical forearms. The usualy grip I have been going with was hand exactly at the inside edge of the knurl. However, I only noticed recently with that grip, that my hands are bit inside my elbow, rather than being vertical with them.

I've experiment with grips as narrow as two fingers on the smooth, and as wide as one-thumb length from the inside edge of the knurl. I was wondering if I could get some feedback one which one I should use. I have provided some images, numbered 1-6. 1 being the narrowest, 6 being the widest.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Also, a second issue I have is that it looks like my arms are not symmetrical when I am holding the bar. It is a bit harder to see when I am wearing a shirt, but one elbow looks like it is pointing out more than the other. Furthermore, when I press my right shoulder feels strange. I'm not sure how to describe it but its like it doesn't move smoothly, like something is getting caught or rubbing together, and it'll make sounds or I'll feel popping as I press. However, it isn't painful. I'm aware that you should shrug your shoulders at the top to avoid shoulder impingement, and I'm pretty sure i do that, but this feeling in my shoulder also comes as I'm pressing, before lockout.

Thanks for any help.

Use #2 or 3, but pull your elbows in and a little forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Use #2 or 3, but pull your elbows in and a little forward.
    Thank you Mr. Rippetoe