starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End of NLP ?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    "I'm 30yo french male, 6'2ft 244lbs" was your first message

"(my NLP took 3months and I add 5kg (11lbs) of body weight" you wrote in a later message

How long have you been doing starting strength NLP? It sounds like 3 months is that correct? Were you training before hand? You got yourself some good strength gains but you could really go quite a bit further if you gained another 40 pounds over the course of the next 6 months. Being 284 (or higher 300) at 6,2 would not be unreasonable and then you could run or train for rugby or do whatever you wanted to do. At that point 9 months in and up 50 pounds you would have reached a much higher spot on the bell curve of Novice strength gains. You might not be interested in that but I thought it should be pointed out as an alternative to starting running and hiking now.

"Is 5x5 at 80% of 5RM not too light ? If I'm squatting 180kg x 5reps (397lbs) it means doing 5x5 at 140kg (309lbs)". For a 5 x 5 do 90% of your current 5 rep max. 5x175kg (386lbs) at 90% 157.5kg (347.5lbs).
    I would consider your 5x175kg (386lbs) to be your heavy day, 80% of that 140kg (309lbs) to be your light day and 90% 157.5kg (347.5lbs) to be your medium day (also the weight to be used for back off sets of heavy squats if doing a heavy and two back offs).

This is the program you are thinking to do next as a four day split.
    "Day1 : Squat 5x5
    Day 2 : Press 1x5 - Bench 5x5 - Barbell rows 5x5
    Day 3 : rest
    Day 4 : Squat 1x5 - Deadlift 1x5
    Day 5 : Bench 1x5 - Press 5x5 - Chins 3 sets
    Day 6 and 7 : rest"

"Power Clean 3x115kg (254lbs)"
    "Deadlift 5x195kg (430lbs)"

Your power clean in ratio to your deadlift is at 59% which is good. I believe Rip says he would like to see it at 60 percent of deadlift which is where you are. Why take it out of your program? I definitely would not take them out to do barbell rows at 5 x 5. I think this will negatively affect your deadlift. I would see how much time you have during workouts after going to 4 day split and see if you can fit them in after power cleans or possible rotate them with power cleans week to week. What ever you do I would keep the power cleans in your program somewhere.

I agree with the others; why are you not planning on power cleaning?

Dear All,

As my gym is not equiped with bumpers I only do power cleans when I'm traveling and able to find a gym with bumpers. I also do power snatches when possible (last time sets of 2 at 85kg). But it is not planned and I do them because I enjoy it.

Yes my NLP took 3 months. Actually I had to restart it because I caught very bad bronchitis this winter, lost 8kg of body mass and was very weak. Also I have many years of barbell lifts exposure before (actually all except the deadlift).

I understand that I could extend the NLP by gaining more bodyweight but I'm not interested in this. I weighed myself and I'm actually at 248lbs.

For info : last deadlift was 200kgx5 (441lbs). I think it is the last time I was adding 5kg to the bar as it wa grueling. Next time I'll add 2.5kg. Today is planned to do 180kg (397lbs) x 5 for squats.

Little clarification : I don't want to do texas method regarding my job constraints (travelling a lot and its difficulties to sleep and eat well), it will be too hard and I don't want to live in the gym.
    I just want to do a 4 day split and was asking how do you select the load for the volume day.

The split you describe is the 4 day Texas method. Any program that involves a volume and intensity day for each exercise is a variation of the Texas method. If you decide to do a more aggressive offset than the 90% usually recommended, you're not doing something different than the Texas method, you're just doing the Texas method poorly. 80% will be too light, especially if you are currently lifting with 90% weights on backoff sets. You can't get stronger lifting lighter weights than you were before. Sorry.

starting strength coach development program
    Regarding the powercleans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_drttm5r66A

You might want to hire a coach to help you with programming.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12