starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unique Situation - Pilot's Life

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    i definetly wouldnt let some test give you any pre concieved notions about your abilities or lack therof. we all just have to do our best and thats all we can do, but dont let some weird geneticist nocebo you.

If i were you, i would do my best on work days to maintain, and then plan on pushing it (increased volume and intensity) on the days you are home. those are the days you will set your PRs.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Shive View Post
    Yes, recovery is, it just didn't occur to me a decade ago that I personally could not lift every other day and properly recover like I thought I should.
    You can in fact lift every other day, because hundreds of thousands of people have done it successfully, some of them no doubt with your astonishing odd genetics. You can't lift every other day if you do it wrong, don't eat enough, don't sleep enough, and if you miss workouts so that you're not in fact training every other day. At 5'7" and 175, you're still very underweight, and this interferes with progress.

How much money have you spent with the genetics people?

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    I'm wondering: is there really not a Planet Fitness or YMCA or something that has a gym near every major airport, or at least every city that has an airport? Can't you get one or maybe two global gym memberships that would serve you in at least half of your layovers? This 7 days of no training every other week is a dog that won't hunt.
    Yes, there are a bunch of gyms, depends on the location. Unfortunately they schedule us for 14 hour duty days and our 10 hours of rest includes travel to and from hotel, 2 meals and sleep. It's very hard to fit a heavy lift in to those time constraints. I've tried lifting while working and it's very hard to be consistent because I don't control my flight or duty schedule. I try to get at least one lift of some sort in during my work week. I'm still brainstorming for ideas to avoid week long off periods. Obviously not ideal but I also won't accept not training in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You can in fact lift every other day, because hundreds of thousands of people have done it successfully, some of them no doubt with your astonishing odd genetics. You can't lift every other day if you do it wrong, don't eat enough, don't sleep enough, and if you miss workouts so that you're not in fact training every other day. At 5'7" and 175, you're still very underweight, and this interferes with progress.

How much money have you spent with the genetics people?
    Luckily I didn't spend much on it, was mostly covered for me.

I'll take a closer look at question 3 of "the first three questions".

The reality of this situation is that you cannot do the program if you cannot do the program, and the results will be other than what the program generates. This is just the math.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The reality of this situation is that you cannot do the program if you cannot do the program, and the results will be other than what the program generates. This is just the math.
    This seems to be a common issue. Is it a conflating of the program and the principles behind it?

The program is the most safe and effective way to get stronger but when it can't be done you can still apply the principles behind it to get some results which are generally better than none.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Shive View Post
    Yes, there are a bunch of gyms, depends on the location. Unfortunately they schedule us for 14 hour duty days and our 10 hours of rest includes travel to and from hotel, 2 meals and sleep.
    Uhhhh....which airline to you work for again???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12