starting strength gym

Thread: Ironmind sew easy lifting straps

Default Ironmind sew easy lifting straps

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I noticed many people recommending them so I ended up buying them.
    I watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw9gqOmlcFA where the guy puts the vertex of the strap back into the loop.
    Thing is, it's impossible to tighten it this way because you can't effectively use the thumb to assist. I tried for like 1 minute before rack pulls and had to ask some guy to help, out of frustration lol.
    Anyone who uses these that can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    I noticed many people recommending them so I ended up buying them.
    I watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw9gqOmlcFA where the guy puts the vertex of the strap back into the loop.
    Thing is, it's impossible to tighten it this way because you can't effectively use the thumb to assist. I tried for like 1 minute before rack pulls and had to ask some guy to help, out of frustration lol.
    Anyone who uses these that can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?
    Did you try spinning the bar?

Watch . . allbeit these are the thinner Oly type straps.
    I time stamped the 'part'. . .but maybe watch the whole vid.
    https://youtu.be/vIVvBUU3rIQ?t=141

As the straps get used more, they'll naturally kinda curl up, makes it easier to grab with the fingers. Whether going thru inside to hand, or wrap toward bar center securing w/ thumb.

Those wide one's you have (like the OP vid), I think, are goofy, and not long enough. I can see the problem. The narrower ones of the same length are easier to manipulate/wrap

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Did you try spinning the bar?
    Yeah but there's still some slack.
    I have just tried actually, I can get them tight if I don't put the vertex into the loop but on the side so I can use my thumb to wrap it around the bar (pretty hard to explain with words). Maybe it won't make a difference but I need to try deadlifting this way.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Watch . . allbeit these are the thinner Oly type straps.
    I time stamped the 'part'. . .but maybe watch the whole vid.
    https://youtu.be/vIVvBUU3rIQ?t=141

As the straps get used more, they'll naturally kinda curl up, makes it easier to grab with the fingers. Whether going thru inside to hand, or wrap toward bar center securing w/ thumb.

Those wide one's you have (like the OP vid), I think, are goofy, and not long enough. I can see the problem. The narrower ones of the same length are easier to manipulate/wrap
    Thanks for the video, I can get them tight this way. Ironmind video does it different he goes right back into the loop instead of on the side, it's impossible for me to tighten it this way even if I spin the bar.

another vid . . .but once again, the thinner (better IMO) straps.
    https://youtu.be/xVAV_zLA6ic?t=150
    I timestamped wear he explains grabbing the bar . . .but maybe watch the whole thing . . this guy is kinda strap anal

I wanted to try the thinner Oly style ones.
    As my old cotton noose style ones were shot.

I took an old ratchet tie-down strap cut off two pieces, hot glue gunned the ends/tips, sewed the ends, and melted the ends with flame.

You can also buy the nylon material at REI in the rock climbing (rope and rigging) section by the foot. They several thicknesses / colors / grades.

They work just fine.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    Thanks for the video, I can get them tight this way. Ironmind video does it different he goes right back into the loop instead of on the side, it's impossible for me to tighten it this way even if I spin the bar.
    I have those straps. The first four weeks or so after I got them I had a heck of a time with them. Now, no problem. Get them good and tight. I think it is a combination of practice and the straps themselves becoming more flexible.