starting strength gym

Thread: Transitioning from pure strength training

Default Transitioning from pure strength training

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    During the last month I wasn't able to run so I took my squat up to 385. Now that I'm sprinting again I want to figure out how to program things. I've just been adding 5 pounds a session and doing the 3x5 but I don't think I'll be able to recover if I just put sprint on top of regular starting strength.

Will I still increase my strength if I do something like: Workout A, rest, Sprint, rest, Workout B, rest, Sprint, rest, Workout A ...

Is that too long of a gap?

jsyk: Sprint workouts are extremely intensive, unlike normal running workouts these definitely make heavy use of glutes and quads so definitely impact recovery in ways that normal running won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookfine View Post
    During the last month I wasn't able to run so I took my squat up to 385. Now that I'm sprinting again I want to figure out how to program things. I've just been adding 5 pounds a session and doing the 3x5 but I don't think I'll be able to recover if I just put sprint on top of regular starting strength.

Will I still increase my strength if I do something like: Workout A, rest, Sprint, rest, Workout B, rest, Sprint, rest, Workout A ...

Is that too long of a gap?

jsyk: Sprint workouts are extremely intensive, unlike normal running workouts these definitely make heavy use of glutes and quads so definitely impact recovery in ways that normal running won't.
    You're a month into the NLP, and you want to move to lifting every five days?

Standard questions and required reading apply: What is your age, height, weight, and sex, how long have you been training, and where are your lifts (weight and reps)?

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe
    The Two-Factor Model of Sports Performance | Mark Rippetoe
    Who Wants to be a Novice? You Do | Mark Rippetoe

While it's certainly not optimal, plenty of people make fine progress only lifting twice a week. You could try sprinting once a week (on Wednesday) and see how that treats you. If you get stuck, you'll know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    While it's certainly not optimal, plenty of people make fine progress only lifting twice a week. You could try sprinting once a week (on Wednesday) and see how that treats you. If you get stuck, you'll know why.
    Rad, if I'm taking it that direction would it make sense to swap over to Texas Method and just put the sprints into the light day and push squats up 10lbs a week? Also, dumb question, but would I benefit from putting some extra volume work (e.g. 3 x 10 x 60%) at the end of the Monday workout to provide a longer stimulus or nah?

starting strength coach development program
    You'll know if you need a light squat pretty much immediately. I will say if you are doing this adding volume will rarely be the solution.

Reread the Grey book: this is all in there.