starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do yall consider long distance

Default What do yall consider long distance

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Cardio is never the primary focus when strength training, but at the same time it has a few useful uses. The issue is I feel many people think cardio means running a 10k every other day. Of course this will cause strength loss, but what about 20 min at 80 precent ( around 2 miles) 3x a week? I feel this can be a great assistance with DIET for fat loss. I have never experienced any strength loss doing this. Is this because I am not advanced enough in my strength training so it doesn't matter? Perhaps a guy who's squats 800 at his advanced stage squat can't handle but 1x for 20 mins of cardio, but while his intermediate self who did 500 can handle more cardio without issues.

What is your bodyfat %?

Scale say I'm 252 and with a skin fold test around 23 BF.

Cardio doesn't seem to be working. Because it can't, at mileages less than about 100/week.

Oh no, I do it so I can have like 1 cheat meal a week because I'm soft mentally and like to make excuses for eatting junk food. I'm not running no 100 a week that's stupid. At most I'll do like 8 miles. Most of it is me doing 400 meter sprints. So that would prob be 1000 calories extra. So that's a nice 3 slices of cheese pizza. Or a bag of family size chips.

You think 8 miles helps your squat?

Hell no, best case does nothing, worse case impacts recovery. At my stage squatting 5x5 with around 445 I have to insure I'm cardio free for 2 days before I squat my heavy day for the best results. I just do it for some easy calories to burn. I feel eatting right would make sense math wise, but you know cheese pizza.

Well, okay.

On a serious note though, when you was young did you ever do any metabolic style condtioning? Examples such as 200 meters to up to running a mile or 2 at a time. I personally never run more then 2 mile in one day. If so, would you say that was a mistake you made in your younger days or did it have a purpose. I know you state you use the prowler now. Would doing 200 meter sprints at 80 percent be the next best thing if you don't have a powler? I will say that the small bit of condtioning does help with my BP since my BP has ran high since I was 16. I also take lisnpril 20 mg to help to.

starting strength coach development program
    I did all that shit. That's why I advise against it. But if you're enjoying yourself, proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast