starting strength gym
Page 2071 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1071157119712021206120692070207120722073208121212171 ... LastLast
Results 20,701 to 20,710 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    1RM is a 1RM, but I see what you're saying.

My point was, most guys this far along in the rate of adaptation curve thing (flat), going from a 1RM to 3RM would take a good long while, with perfect programming and recovery.

Dudes a freak
    Yep, if he truly meant 1RM then that is just insane.

Drug tested raw w/ wraps world record at 181 is 645. Untested is 760. If this guy can do 616x3 then his 1RM should be around 650.

Men's Raw World Records | Powerlifting Watch

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    AFAIK, Men's olympic weightlifting bars have the kurling in the middle also.
    That may be the case now, but I was in that gym about 30 years ago, and all the bars were smooth as a baby's butt in the middle. Most were a bit rusty and bent also.

I was out of town for the weekend, at a resort/hotel. The 'fitness center' was loaded up with treadmills, ellipticals, and an all-in-one machine.

The first evening, I strolled through to check it out. Empty, other than one dude on an elliptical, who was dumbbell curling at the same time. I'm not sure what the deal with the TV was... maybe the remote was missing? But he was watching Golden Girls while doing this ellipticurl session.

The following day my 10 year old daughter wanted to 'lift weights'. The only thing there was this all-in-one. 4 stations, each multi-purpose. Leg press/row, pull down/curl/leg-extension, 'bench press'/peck deck, something else. She loves pull ups, so I get her on the pull down station. I'm watching her, making sure she's not going to crack herself in the head with the bar.

A guy in his 60s comes in, fresh from the jacuzzi with his wife, accesses the scene, and loudly states "I better bench."
    He slides the pin into the bottom of the stack, then proceeds to squeeze out three very painful looking half reps while grunting and farting, while his wife gazes away with a longing look in her eye of what her life could have been. After his third rep, he slams the stack down. Pretty sure he just let go of the bar, along with his bowels. He gets up, chest stuck out proudly, and limps out of the gym.

Surprisingly the dropping of the stack, which was incredibly loud, didn't phase my daughter who was immediately adjacent to him. She just says "How'd he hurt his leg doing that? He didn't limp when he came in. Asshole."

Generally I try to keep the kids from swearing, but the guy was clearly an asshole...

Leg drived too hard, I would assume.

Quote Originally Posted by dhalli View Post
    He slides the pin into the bottom of the stack, then proceeds to squeeze out three very painful looking half reps while grunting and farting...
    His valsava came out the other end.

Shit pants story:
    (Don't mind sharing or being made fun of)

When I tore my pec benching years ago. . . dropped the bar on my chest . . .spotter saved/helped off . . . catastrophe, excitement, etc
    Was all adrenalined up, in pain, etc . . . came off of adrenaline high I guess, got all queasy.
    Tried to drive home, passed out behind wheel in center-left-turn-left-lane . . . .woke up a few seconds later with shorts full of warm piss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    That may be the case now, but I was in that gym about 30 years ago, and all the bars were smooth as a baby's butt in the middle. Most were a bit rusty and bent also.
    I checked at my good gym on Sunday. Eleikos all have center knurling, but it is basically as smooth as a baby's bottom. You can just tell the difference with your eyes closed, but it's mostly there for spec sake.

Quote Originally Posted by dhalli View Post
    "How'd he hurt his leg doing that? He didn't limp when he came in. Asshole."
    Best story I've read here in some time. You're obviously raising your daughter right. Hope you had a great Father's Day.

NO, no sarcasm or anything like that - truly serious. Trying to not laugh out loud at work right now. Tears in eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Skander View Post
    I checked at my good gym on Sunday. Eleikos all have center knurling, but it is basically as smooth as a baby's bottom. You can just tell the difference with your eyes closed, but it's mostly there for spec sake.
    MY York Oly Training bar is same way.
    Real subtle knurl in middle, nice.
    Also, weird: the last 6-8 inches or so near the sleeve collars (where you'd grab snatch) is a different grade/finer pattern of knurling . . .

starting strength coach development program
    It looks like he pulled that using a strapless, DOH grip. I am amazed.