Page 304 of 304 FirstFirst ... 204254294302303304
Results 3,031 to 3,039 of 3039

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Michael Mann has been doing it right since the 80s:

He did it right with the soundtrack on this one, too.

Any Mad Max fans?

I saw Furiosa last night. I was curious how she lost her arm and I thought Miller gave the scene the justice it deserved. I'm sure some disagree but these films can spark disagreements throughout.

An unforeseen future nestled somewhere in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Watched Absolute Power, 1997, last night. Clint Eastwood's commentary on the Clinton Administration and Democratic party politics in general. An excellent film.
    OK Rip, here it comes, i am hoping with these recommendations I'll become part of the inner circle (now, i you have watched these films, we would want your opinion and critique):

Dogville (and almost all things Lars Von Trier if possible)
    Underground (1995, Emir Kusturica)
    My dinner with Andre
    House of Sand and Fog
    Pi
    Primer
    Leon (The professional)

Quote Originally Posted by docoftheworld View Post
    OK Rip, here it comes, i am hoping with these recommendations I'll become part of the inner circle (now, i you have watched these films, we would want your opinion and critique):

Dogville (and almost all things Lars Von Trier if possible)
    Underground (1995, Emir Kusturica)
    My dinner with Andre
    House of Sand and Fog
    Pi
    Primer
    Leon (The professional)
    They released PI in theaters about two years ago with a new print in 8k with Dolby Atmos sound. My friend and I saw it in Imax. Gorgeous film. So visceral. I had tremors down my spine while watching it. A indescribable cinematic experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Any Mad Max fans?

I saw Furiosa last night. I was curious how she lost her arm and I thought Miller gave the scene the justice it deserved. I'm sure some disagree but these films can spark disagreements throughout.
    I remember watching MM2 (Road Warrior) at the cinema in the early 80s - just a little kid, I naively thought the gay bikers were pretty cool, but then I also thought similarly of the biker in the Village People. In a different time, different household, I may have been directed toward puberty blockers...perish the thought.

Anyway, the first and second movies are my favourites, being very disappointed with Beyond Thunderdome due to the lack of muscle cars. Fury Road bored me to tears.

I think Furiosa is confusing, messy and the CGI was surprisingly bad. I also have a tough time with actors that appear to have an eating disorder, being portrayed as someone not to be messed with. Perhaps I'm just a killjoy for being unwilling to suspend disbelief, but I don't see why it is so difficult to find a woman who can act and doesn't look like a vegan.

The production is impressive in its size and detail. It says something about the state of cinema when it's almost considered a decent movie if you didn't hate it.

Fans of the series might be interested in Stone from 1974, which is arguably a 'precursor' to Mad Max. Quality of production and acting is low, but rumour has it that most actors were paid in beer and a few of them ended up in Mad Max (Toe-cutter also being cast in Fury Road).

Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    I also have a tough time with actors that appear to have an eating disorder, being portrayed as someone not to be messed with. Perhaps I'm just a killjoy for being unwilling to suspend disbelief, but I don't see why it is so difficult to find a woman who can act and doesn't look like a vegan.
    Maybe ask Gina Carano about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    I remember watching MM2 (Road Warrior) at the cinema in the early 80s - just a little kid, I naively thought the gay bikers were pretty cool, but then I also thought similarly of the biker in the Village People. In a different time, different household, I may have been directed toward puberty blockers...perish the thought.

Anyway, the first and second movies are my favourites, being very disappointed with Beyond Thunderdome due to the lack of muscle cars. Fury Road bored me to tears.

I think Furiosa is confusing, messy and the CGI was surprisingly bad. I also have a tough time with actors that appear to have an eating disorder, being portrayed as someone not to be messed with. Perhaps I'm just a killjoy for being unwilling to suspend disbelief, but I don't see why it is so difficult to find a woman who can act and doesn't look like a vegan.

The production is impressive in its size and detail. It says something about the state of cinema when it's almost considered a decent movie if you didn't hate it.

Fans of the series might be interested in Stone from 1974, which is arguably a 'precursor' to Mad Max. Quality of production and acting is low, but rumour has it that most actors were paid in beer and a few of them ended up in Mad Max (Toe-cutter also being cast in Fury Road).
    I’m with you on all counts, except thinking the bikers were cool. They rode rice burners, and although I’ve had a couple, they were no bueno where I grew up😁. The first two were definitely the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Any Mad Max fans?

I didn't particularly enjoy it. The soundtrack is lacking. I wouldn't have noticed if it had been bad but its complete absence in spots that really demanded it was glaring. There was nothing to explain the relationship really between Joe and Furiosa, as though part of the story was missing. Jack was killed off way too fast for my taste but that may just be because I found him attractive. The best part was Chris Hemsworth looked like he was having an absolute blast and the monster truck. I'm redneck enough that I will always like a monster truck.

starting strength coach development program
    Actually went to a theater and saw The Bikeriders. Blue collar, plain talking real men form a club to ride motorcycles, drink beer and raise a little hell. Unfortunately things go south when the club expands and takes in dopers and young thugs. Tom Hardy, who for my money is about as good as it comes these days, is tremendous as usual, but the young kid Austin Butler (although probably too pretty to be in a club judging by the pics in the book its based on) absolutely steals the show. Jodie Comer plays Butler's wife and is excellent as well and nobody plays a white trash character better than Norman Reedus. I really enjoyed it.