starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question about the "Rip" Rack

Default A question about the "Rip" Rack

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

Knowing how you suffer fools (I am often included in the category), and this question may indeed move me into that category, regardless, I was wondering if you could provide a short video regarding your rack design? I'm getting closer to to building my home gym, and I have a son who will have completed his welding certifications by the time I fit my gym, and I think it might be better to have him build according to your design. But, I was just curious about your design--why you built them, why should I consider building it vs. purchasing from an equipment manufacturer, the advantages of your design, etc. I also observed that when I see the monster lifters (i.e. The Albino) rack squats or presses, there is a lot of lateral shaking (I'm not a structural engineer, so I am sure there is a more descriptive term for it)--why is that? If you take the time to answer this, I appreciate it, if not, I realize it is a rather flummery question.

Texas Strength Systems is about to announce the production of the Starting Strength Equipment line. It will include the rack, the flat bench, the plate rack, and a little bar jack for the deadlift. What did you want to know about the rack design?

They are very minor, but I just wanted to see the bolt pins (aka J-hooks?). Are they just held in by friction, or do you tighten the nut? Additionally, you use 1.25 steel for safety pins--why does everyone else use a single piece of 1/2 steel with a sleeve? It looks like your racks last, well, forever, with very little needing to be replaced. Finally, does the Westside spacing offer any advantage, other than saying it's Westside spacing?

The bolts are 1.25" shoulder bolts. The nut is tightened, of course. The pins, well, everybody else's are shittier than ours. I don't know what Westside spacing is, but the TSS version has 2-inch centers on the hole spacing.

Thanks. I do appreciate this. Perhaps I'll be saving for a TSS "Rip" rack, 'cause Rip has a nice rack.

Ha.

If I recall right, Westside spacing is two inches in the range where the hooks are set for squats, but one inch in the range where people set the hooks for bench press.

I have the prototype in the gym right now, and it is the best rack in the industry. Feel free to drop by.

It just went live: Starting Strength Line. I guess my question was serendipitous.

starting strength coach development program
    Will the bench be upholstered in auto velour as described in book?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast