starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many calories should I be consuming?

Default How many calories should I be consuming?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Trying to figure out how many calories I should be eating.
    I am 5"10 at 230ibs.
    I do not want to gain more weight than I am currently at. 230ibs has felt pretty crappy until I started the my NLP. I am currently 4 weeks in and am feeling that 230ibs isn't so bad, looks or strength wise if I can continue to get stronger.
    I am currently eating 2300 calories a day.
    I am feeling strong in the gym still, but I am not sure if 2300 calories is enough to recover well.
    My macro goals have been
    200g of protien
    144g of carbs
    102g of fat

Squat 205
    Press 110
    Bench 165
    Deadlift 230
    Currently

Thanks for any help.

How many calories are you eating on the days you aren't preparing your own meals?

About 2000 -2700 calories. Some days I eat more and if I'm really busy I'll eat less.
    I'd say my wife and I consistently prep meals 5 to 6 days a week.
    It's just cheaper and the food she makes taste a lot better.

It is highly unlikely you are gaining weight on that calorie level at that current bodyweight. Even with that said, you are in a good position to get stronger so definitely don't lose weight. A 700 calorie variability is a problem though. Stay at around 2700 and keep adding weight to the bar. It will all even out as the weight gets heavier. That being said 144 grams of carbs and 105 grams of fat is a recipe to get fat and weak. Flip some of those calories. 300 g carbs, 70 g fat, and 200 g protein is going to do much more for you in the weight room.

It's only been about a month since I started consistently hitting 2300 calories a day and tracking what I have been eating. Basically, right before I started my NLP.
    Before that my eating habits had been bad and I was around 240ibs bodyweight.
    I appreciate the calorie and macro suggestions and will be sticking to them 👍

If you are sticking to an honest 2300 calories you are unlikely to maintain a heavy bodyweight.

Do you have any recommendations for food?
    I've been trying to meal plan these macros.
    200g of protien is tricky with 75g of fat. Unless egg whites and protien shakes are going to be my new best friends.

96/4 lean ground beef, nonfat greek or icelandic yogurt. Beef eye of round or sirloin, boneless skinless chicken breasts, then of course egg whites. Only hard if you are a picky eater.

Robert, How are you cooking that ultra lean beef? (Patties, or mixed with something in chunks?)

Whenever I cook a burger (bison or 90/10 ground beef) it is always dry and I have to kind of choke it down. Cooked the same with 80/20 beef burger is good.
    Typically I'm cooking in a cast iron skillet or if weather is good on the grill.

starting strength coach development program
    I make it ground and mix it with vegetables, rice, and beans. The dryness you get used to over time. I never got into fatty meats as staples. Always ate lean since I was a kid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast