starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I survied a big crash!

Thumbs up I survied a big crash!

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm 66 years young. I lift because skiing is my passion and addiction. This past 6 months I was very diligent about my lifting. Set some PR's along the way. On my first ski trip of the season I skied so well I was shocked especially by the fact I was hardly sore. The second day I decided to go for it on one of my favorite runs. My old skis let me down kind of like old worn out shock absorbers. I got high sided. I remember how quiet it was while I flew thru the air, then crash landing on my hip then shoulder then whip lashing my helmeted head into the snow. I don't think I've ever slid that far. But you know what? I didn't hurt. The people in the chair lift were impressed and asked if I was ok. I was but I was kind of savoring the fact all that lifting had SAVED MY ASS BIG TIME. I stood up and skied away like a 20 something. I went home to order some new and faster skis. More power to Geezers who lift. Barbells are truly a fountain of youth. A big shout out to Rip and company. I'm forever indebted to you.

Good for you. It's great to see a young man still skiing.

Related experience: at 63, skiing for the first time in about 10 years, keeping up with the " young legs" including 2 ski instructors. Went out of control, took a tumble and discovered the hard way that my bindings were tightened beyond my skiing abilities. I am certain that my leg/knee strength, resulting from this program, kept my knees from blowing out during three rollovers on the ground with skiis still attached. Lingering soreness but fortunately, no permanent injury. Recovered like a 20 year old...and recognized my limits like a 63 YO.

Good on you sir! Never been skiing but I know that I would undoubtedly end up crashing in spectacular fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyD View Post
    I'm 66 years young. I lift because skiing is my passion and addiction. This past 6 months I was very diligent about my lifting. Set some PR's along the way. On my first ski trip of the season I skied so well I was shocked especially by the fact I was hardly sore. The second day I decided to go for it on one of my favorite runs. My old skis let me down kind of like old worn out shock absorbers. I got high sided. I remember how quiet it was while I flew thru the air, then crash landing on my hip then shoulder then whip lashing my helmeted head into the snow. I don't think I've ever slid that far. But you know what? I didn't hurt. The people in the chair lift were impressed and asked if I was ok. I was but I was kind of savoring the fact all that lifting had SAVED MY ASS BIG TIME. I stood up and skied away like a 20 something. I went home to order some new and faster skis. More power to Geezers who lift. Barbells are truly a fountain of youth. A big shout out to Rip and company. I'm forever indebted to you.
    huh. great story. curious - are you saying that weight training kept you from getting hurt in a ski fall? what is the mechanism for that?

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    huh. great story. curious - are you saying that weight training kept you from getting hurt in a ski fall? what is the mechanism for that?
    Increased bone density and muscle mass holds together better.

Melody called it. I had an xray taken of my knees because of meniscus issues. Doctor commented on bone density being better than he thought it would be for a geezer. I'm looking towards a new knee at the end of the ski season. I can ski but waliking is a royal pain in the a**.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyD View Post
    Melody called it. I had an xray taken of my knees because of meniscus issues. Doctor commented on bone density being better than he thought it would be for a geezer. I'm looking towards a new knee at the end of the ski season. I can ski but waliking is a royal pain in the a**.
    Everyone I know who has had a knee replaced wished they had done it a year earlier than they did. A couple of them ski just fine now with a new knee. The only thing their doctor told them to avoid are lot and lots of moguls.

Twenty years younger but I had a monumental crash due to mechanical failure into a stone wall on a fast descent on my bike a while back. Very similar to this:

Hospital kept saying I was very very lucky. Whilst pretty much everything hurting and bruised, beside a chipped knee cap and smashed up face, helmet and bike nothing else broke. Even my wrist stayed intact with almost the entire forearm purple and black (let go of handle bar when crashing!). Shoulder and neck a mess. Even my physio who works in international rugby was pretty impressed by what I'd managed lol. We're pretty sure that weightlifting and muscle helped in both the crash and recovery. I'm intent on keeping the Iron Angel next to me for the next 40 years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast