starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Gym Costs?

Question Home Gym Costs?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    In another thread a person mentioned thinking about setting up a home gym due to the rest periods we use in SS. I know at my local Y they don't like that I will rest even three minutes between sets. I will be going out on the web to check prices but does anyone here have ball park estimate on what that costs? I do the basics; squats, overhead presses, bench presses, dead lifts and pull ups.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    In another thread a person mentioned thinking about setting up a home gym due to the rest periods we use in SS. I know at my local Y they don't like that I will rest even three minutes between sets. I will be going out on the web to check prices but does anyone here have ball park estimate on what that costs? I do the basics; squats, overhead presses, bench presses, dead lifts and pull ups.
    You can buy a cheap rack for just over $300(Atlas/Titan from Amazon), a serviceable barbell for $130 (Cap OB-86B, Amazon), and a couple hundred pounds of used iron plates on Craigslist (Craigslist). A good enough bench for about $100 (Adidas "Dumbbell bench" with 600 lb capacity also Amazon), but for ~$200 you can get a better one from Rogue. Do you need to build a platform, or are you just going to put down a horse stall mat or two ($40 each at Tractor supply)?

Or, you can go all Rogue and spend around double that for better equipment and better service across the board.

You're looking at this from the wrong direction, in my opinion. Set your budget, take the first $250/$300 and get a decent barbell, prioritize rack and bench quality after that, and plates last, since used ones work just as well as brand new.

I'm not sure about used plates being the same as brand new Rogue (or "Rouge") plates. Because of gravity. Heard it on BroScienceLife.

I bought a crappy used bar and 260lbs of crappy used plates at Play-It-Again Sports for about 89 bucks. 4 Stall mats from Tractor Supply @ 39 each. Cludged together a jankyazz wood squat rack from scrap for a couple weeks until I threw in the towel and bought a bolt-together unit from Dick's for about 329. As time has passed, I've now got B&R and Bella 2.0 bars from Rogue for current pricing, and some Ader fractional plates for about 40ish bucks on Amazon. I've added a couple more 45s, 2 more tens and 2 more 25s - all of dubious lineage and inconsequential money.

Honestly, the only part of my gym build I'd do differently is I would make sure not to try to mix-n-match metric and standard plates.

I paid $600 for a used squat cage, bench, oly bar and 300+ pounds of weights on Craigslist. I cut a 4x6 piece of plywood and carpet taped a rubber mat to it for a firm platform under the cage. I bought some gymnastic rings and suspended the from the ceiling. All-in $800 or less. Now I have the luxury of lifting whenever I want, and resting as long as I need. Between heavy sets I sit down in the next room and play spider solitaire or read this forum until I've recovered enough for the next set. I used to feel pressured at the gym and probably would have had a hard time sticking to my program when i neede 8 minutes recovery and still wanted the rack and weights as i left them. This is a permanent fixture of my house and my lifestyle. Most of us geezers are probably empty nesters with a spare room available, and I think would enjoy setting up like this immensely, as I have. Hope you can to.

Rogue SML-1 rack with spotter arms was about $600
    Shit Cap bar, EZ curl bar, and 255lbs weights from CL: $100
    Flat bench off CL: $50
    OB_86 bar from Amazon: $175
    two pairs of Cap spring collars from Amazon: $15
    Lockjaw collars: $20
    two pairs 10lb bumpers: $80
    one pair 25lb bumpers: $100

Total so far: $1140.

I have two belts and built the platform out of plywood I had left over from a flooring job. And my chucks. And a wool cap because the basement gets cold.

Still want an adjustable bench, 45lb bumpers, replace the Cap bar, and three more pairs of 45's, so I'm likely in for another $1000 or so.
    Last edited by I_iz_a_fatass; 02-28-2015 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff

Rogue S1 stand with spotter arms & extra pair of J-cups $700.
    Rogue bar $300
    Rogue flat bench $175
    craigslist used plates for $.50/lb or so, spare shitty bar (came with the plates), plate stands - total $300 or so
    3 horse stall mats from tractor supply - $120
    2 sheets 5/8" plywood, 2 sheets 3/4" particle board, screws - I forget
    4 bags self-leveling compound to make a flat spot in the garage - $150

Depending on climate you might need a space heater, and a fan for summer.

No platform here, but I guess the cost of the drill bits, concrete anchors, etc might have cost as much as wood would have to make a platform instead. Obviously, I have more on here than you need to "do the program" or workout at home, but I'm all in around $2200.

Titan HD Rack $400
    Rogue Power Bar, Flat Utility Bench, Matador $700
    400lb used Iron Plates off Craiglist $180
    210lb MDUSA Econ Bumpers $200
    12kg, 20kg, 28kg KB $180
    2x Horse Stall Mats $100
    Used Airdyne off Craigslist $200
    Misc Bands, Ab Wheel, Foam Roller/Rumble Roller, etc $200

If I had more room, I'd buy more stuff. I'd like to get some adjustable dumbbells, an extra bar (probably the CAP one), and a pair of cheap squat stands... but I need more space for all of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post

Titan HD Rack $400
    Are you satisfied with this rack?

Thank you all so much for this. I too will adopt a home gym as I'm just not managing to get my workout in as I'd like otherwise. Once again thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    Are you satisfied with this rack?
    I heard they made a lot of improvements in response to the early negative comments people had about it, and that people are highly satisfied with it now, although it's not as nicely finished as the Rogue R-whatever.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast