starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for Sean Herbison

Default Question for Sean Herbison

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I noticed in another thread you talking about knee cave. Your knees look a bit like mine when you are standing up with the bar on your back for squats. My knees look slightly caved in as well. I don't have trouble keeping my knees out when I squat though. Anyway, my girlfriend has a bit more severe genu valgum in one of her legs. She has a very strong squat but has that one leg gives her trouble. Would it be a bad idea to have her rotate that one leg slightly farther out than the other since it has a tendency to rotate inwards. A bit like how Dmitry Klokov has a slightly altered stance because he is bow legged. I was going to have her try it on a few warmups just to test but I was curious on your opinion.

Thanks

Also, anyone else with experience or thoughts on how to deal with unilateral genu valgum chime in. It is not completely obvious but it is there if you look for it.

That's not something I can answer without seeing it, and possibly not even then. Which thread are you referring to?

If anybody else has better inputs, I won't be offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    That's not something I can answer without seeing it, and possibly not even then. Which thread are you referring to?

If anybody else has better inputs, I won't be offended.
    Could be lots o' shit. I have this issue (have always had this issue) on my right leg. My right ankle is a mangled, crepitus mess of scar tissue & I can't dorsiflex it properly, so my knee - by default - buckles in to accommodate the lost ROM.

Dems my inputs.

@sean - this thread here:

Can a certain type of knee cave never be fixed?

@John - I am not sure about my GF situation, I may ask her if she is ok with me posting a picture of it. However I am fairly certain mine arose from having flat feet. My ankles have always tilted inwards (causes an unusual wear on my shoes) and I think that influenced my knees slightly caving inwards. Mine you can't really tell unless you are looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Could be lots o' shit. I have this issue (have always had this issue) on my right leg. My right ankle is a mangled, crepitus mess of scar tissue & I can't dorsiflex it properly, so my knee - by default - buckles in to accommodate the lost ROM.

Dems my inputs.
    Get an arthroscopy on that ankle ASAP and clean up that shit!

Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    @sean - this thread here:

Can a certain type of knee cave never be fixed?

@John - I am not sure about my GF situation, I may ask her if she is ok with me posting a picture of it. However I am fairly certain mine arose from having flat feet. My ankles have always tilted inwards (causes an unusual wear on my shoes) and I think that influenced my knees slightly caving inwards. Mine you can't really tell unless you are looking for it.
    Is her genu valgum obvious when she's just standing?

Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    Get an arthroscopy on that ankle ASAP and clean up that shit!
    I need to. It's getting really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post

I need to. It's getting really bad.
    What was the initial injury btw bruh?

Prolly rolled his ankle a bunch?

^ this is why it's important to have good lower leg strength and ankle stiffness. And nothing we in the weightroom really ameliorates this

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Diebolt View Post
    ^ this is why it's important to have good lower leg strength and ankle stiffness. And nothing we in the weightroom really ameliorates this
    Progressively getting stronger at standing/seated calf raises?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast