starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I absolutely positively cannot get rid of "butt wink"

Default I absolutely positively cannot get rid of "butt wink"

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    It isn't a matter of weight. I have butt wink with no weight, 45 lbs, 135 lbs, 195 lbs. It's always there.

Is it just an inflexibility or is it something else? Are there any cues to prevent it? I watched a video on YouTube claiming it wasn't a flexibility issue but I don't know how accurate it was.

Sigh me neither.

Do you mean the video that tells you to engage the hip flexors? Yeah, that doesn't work for me either.

I'm spending the weekend stretching the shit out of my adductors.

Here's a video I posted yesterday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUE323sGUN4

It is is most often, either a "muscle control" thing, or indeed the flexibility thing.

If you are certain you know how to create tightness in your back and can feel when you lose it. Then it is probably the flexibility thing. Stretching the hamstrings can help.

Strengthening the back and wearing a belt can also help.

You should probably squat as deep as you can without getting the butt wink, over time the squats will stretch out your hamstrings letting you eventually squat deep enough.

I think it might be flexibility...because I have a huge problem with deadlifts, too. Can't get into good form there no matter the weight.

This was my last heavy deadlift (skip to :30)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKsZnKFv-ww

I think with squats I have a problem with balancing butt wink and knees going forward. I was squatting for a while with my knees going forward too much at the bottom, and I didn't realize it till one day I noticed a bit of pain in my knees. So I checked my form and my knees were going forward. So now I'm sitting back much better but my butt is winking like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSev View Post
    I think it might be flexibility...because I have a huge problem with deadlifts, too. Can't get into good form there no matter the weight.

This was my last heavy deadlift (skip to :30)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKsZnKFv-ww
    I don't have the experience to help you with your problem, but I do have a suggestion on the DL. When lowering the bar you are bending your knees too soon which is why they are getting in the way. Do a Romanian Deadlift when lowering, i.e., push your ass back as far as possible with a tight lower back and a slight break at the knees. Don't think about lowering the bar. It will lower all by itself as you push your ass back. Don't bend your knees until the bar is past them. If you don't correct this you're going to have problems with heavier weights.

Now that I think about it - maybe RDLs would help your squat problem by stretching your hamstrings.

My buddy had this problem and we sorted it out for him recently. Knees out was the answer, cutting depth helped him keep knees out.

When i say knees out, i don't just mean put them there, I mean FUCKING SHOVE YOUR KNEES OUT AS HARD AS YOU FUCKING CAN. When you do this, you will end up stopping at the bottom because of your hips, not because you chose to stop by pushing up.

Try it without weight. Exaggerate it massively. I mean, push your knees out way farther and harder than you think and you'll feel the muscle on the inside-back of your leg stop you.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSev View Post
    I think it might be flexibility...because I have a huge problem with deadlifts, too.
    Yeah you do. Try re-reading the deadlift chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
    I don't have the experience to help you with your problem, but I do have a suggestion on the DL. When lowering the bar you are bending your knees too soon which is why they are getting in the way. Do a Romanian Deadlift when lowering, i.e., push your ass back as far as possible with a tight lower back and a slight break at the knees. Don't think about lowering the bar. It will lower all by itself as you push your ass back. Don't bend your knees until the bar is past them. If you don't correct this you're going to have problems with heavier weights.

Now that I think about it - maybe RDLs would help your squat problem by stretching your hamstrings.
    I know that, but I'm not worried about the negative.

What's the real difference between stiff legged DL's and RDL's?

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    My buddy had this problem and we sorted it out for him recently. Knees out was the answer, cutting depth helped him keep knees out.

When i say knees out, i don't just mean put them there, I mean FUCKING SHOVE YOUR KNEES OUT AS HARD AS YOU FUCKING CAN. When you do this, you will end up stopping at the bottom because of your hips, not because you chose to stop by pushing up.

Try it without weight. Exaggerate it massively. I mean, push your knees out way farther and harder than you think and you'll feel the muscle on the inside-back of your leg stop you.
    I'll try this, "knees out" has always been a really shitty cue for me though.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok guys, I have to ask,

What the hell is butt wink?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast