starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back buckled during squats

Default Back buckled during squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been been rehabbing my back injury with light gradual squat work (sets of 12, twice a week).
    In 4 months, I have gone from no weight to 150x12.
    No contraindication during past 4 months.
    Sciatica had gotten a smidge better.

Last workout: working weight 150 for 12 reps (increase from 145x12 the previous week).
    First two sets went fine, nowhere near failure.

Third set: Rep 5 - my back buckled after coming up 30% from the bottom, the best way I can describe the buckling sensation is like a leg bucking: if I was standing and someone unexpectedly pushed in my knee from behind, and the leg buckled.

In my case, the buckling pivot was the small of my back (not the hip). And the small of my back underwent an immediate wave kind of correction in response to the buckling.
    It was completely unexpected, and has never happened in my life. I cannot replicate the motion if I wanted to. It was like my spine "slipped", and my body responded to prevent spine from snapping.

No immediate pain, so in denial I completed a couple of more reps (pain free) before sanity took hold and I ended the workout. Walked home in some low pain, but then after getting home, the pain ramped up, making getting out of bed difficult.
    The pain is 90% on the right side (same side as where the sciatica and earlier back pain was).

Its a bit better now after 24 hrs rest, but back has been reinjured.

Has anyone encountered this sudden buckling of the back?
    It has distressed me, as the weight was low, and the buckling was sudden and unexpected bucking, like I was dangerously close to the spine snapping.

Very short history:
    Training in some way for many years.
    Best 5 rep squat: 245 in 2011

--In late 2011, I injured my back with BB training (there was no exact rep which I can pinpoint, back started getting stiffer and stiffer during session, and then I was in pain)

--pain mostly on right side, low back/upper butt.

--2 month layoff from squats etc

--After starting again (at much lower weights), 2 weeks pain free, then pain started again in week 3.

--A 10 month layoff from squats etc.

--In the meantime, in mid 2012 (when pain subsided), was doing some bird dog exercise for low back, and this flared up the pain, now to include sciatica (on right side). Stopped all back work.

--Squats started again Nov 2012.

--OHP SS:BBT2 style has had no bad effects on back pain.

Sounds like you need an MRI. I suspect a disc.

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    I have been been rehabbing my back injury with light gradual squat work (sets of 12, twice a week).
    In 4 months, I have gone from no weight to 150x12.
    No contraindication during past 4 months.
    Sciatica had gotten a smidge better.

Last workout: working weight 150 for 12 reps (increase from 145x12 the previous week).
    First two sets went fine, nowhere near failure.

Third set: Rep 5 - my back buckled after coming up 30% from the bottom, the best way I can describe the buckling sensation is like a leg bucking: if I was standing and someone unexpectedly pushed in my knee from behind, and the leg buckled.

In my case, the buckling pivot was the small of my back (not the hip). And the small of my back underwent an immediate wave kind of correction in response to the buckling.
    It was completely unexpected, and has never happened in my life. I cannot replicate the motion if I wanted to. It was like my spine "slipped", and my body responded to prevent spine from snapping.

No immediate pain, so in denial I completed a couple of more reps (pain free) before sanity took hold and I ended the workout. Walked home in some low pain, but then after getting home, the pain ramped up, making getting out of bed difficult.
    The pain is 90% on the right side (same side as where the sciatica and earlier back pain was).

Its a bit better now after 24 hrs rest, but back has been reinjured.

Has anyone encountered this sudden buckling of the back?
    It has distressed me, as the weight was low, and the buckling was sudden and unexpected bucking, like I was dangerously close to the spine snapping.

Very short history:
    Training in some way for many years.
    Best 5 rep squat: 245 in 2011

--In late 2011, I injured my back with BB training (there was no exact rep which I can pinpoint, back started getting stiffer and stiffer during session, and then I was in pain)

--pain mostly on right side, low back/upper butt.

--2 month layoff from squats etc

--After starting again (at much lower weights), 2 weeks pain free, then pain started again in week 3.

--A 10 month layoff from squats etc.

--In the meantime, in mid 2012 (when pain subsided), was doing some bird dog exercise for low back, and this flared up the pain, now to include sciatica (on right side). Stopped all back work.

--Squats started again Nov 2012.

--OHP SS:BBT2 style has had no bad effects on back pain.

I got 10 that says it quadratus lumborum. Thats my answer for everything!

Based on what you reported on here, I wouldn't be all that concerned. I am sure the event was enough to scare the shit out of you, however, your reported symptoms are not consistent with a serious trauma to your low back. You aren't having any progressive neurological deficits that would lead me to believe you induced cauda equina syndrome (that is to say, you haven't lost bowel or bladder control, you don't have saddle paresthesia, etc), and your symptoms have eased.

In this case, I think an MRI would be of low yield, except that if you do have an MRI, you will almost certainly buy yourself a ticket to the operating room. I'd say, find yourself a Physical Therapist that is very comfortable treating low back pain in an athletic population, or better yet, one that has the initials FAAOMPT after their name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sounds like you need an MRI. I suspect a disc.
    Definitely. And probably don't even need an expensive MRI to confirm an injury that is discogenic.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Based on what you reported on here, I wouldn't be all that concerned. I am sure the event was enough to scare the shit out of you, however, your reported symptoms are not consistent with a serious trauma to your low back.
    Indeed, the weird slipping/buckling incident scared the hell out of me. Back is not supposed to buckle unexpectedly like that.

Back is much better now (but still injured). Went to doc, to get MRI need appointment, and that will take another 2-3 months ( yay for govt health care :-\)
    X-ray was normal according to the doctor who looked like a 14 year old girl.

How are hyperextensions for rehabbing back injuries?

Depends on the injury, which remains undiagnosed.

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    Indeed, the weird slipping/buckling incident scared the hell out of me. Back is not supposed to buckle unexpectedly like that.

Back is much better now (but still injured). Went to doc, to get MRI need appointment, and that will take another 2-3 months ( yay for govt health care :-\)
    X-ray was normal according to the doctor who looked like a 14 year old girl.

How are hyperextensions for rehabbing back injuries?
    You seriously have to wait 2-3 months to get an MRI?

Quote Originally Posted by JB1981 View Post
    You seriously have to wait 2-3 months to get an MRI?
    Wait a couple years and the US will be the same.

starting strength coach development program
    Before OP gets his diagnosis- anyone want to take my bet? Ill pay up if im wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast