starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumbells Needed

Default Dumbells Needed

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip, I recall from a few of your videos the type of dumbbells you used are pretty interchangeable (part wise) and weight is easily added and removed. Do you know any stores that carry something similar? Due to time constraints and just an overall lack of desire to head to our local gym anymore, I'm going to be building a garage gym and I'd like a set of dumbbells that I can add and remove weight from easily that isn't' going to fall apart in 3 months. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Abe

I don't use adjustable dumbbells. At all. That's one reason to have a gym with complete equipment.

As a general rule you can find stuff like adjustable dumbbells second hand really easily, look on craigslist. Although I should warn you it's incredibly annoying having to change the weights for each exercise, let alone each set as you warm up. And make sure you find some with decent collars on them, you don't want to get hit on the head with a few plates whilst pressing.

Your best bet is to just pick up a ton of used standard (1" hole) plates from Craigslist, yard sales, pawn / thrift shops, or even stores like Play it Again Sports or whatever. Craigslist has been a goldmine for me -- I got well over 300 lbs of standard plates essentially free as people just kept throwing them in when I'd buy their other stuff.

Standard adjustable dumbbell handles don't have nearly enough space to load them up heavy, so I made a handle out of a 2' length of 3/4" Schedule 40 pipe. I use shaft collars for the inner collars (tightened like crazy and slathered in threadlock since they're not supposed to move), and hose clamps for the outer collars (since I wanted something that would hold fast, but still go on and off pretty easily).

Here's a photo of it loaded up with 140 lbs:

(My daughter uses the yellow one when she "works out" with me. She is 6.)

Plates are mismatched, but weight is weight. Changing plates between sets is admittedly more of a pain in the ass than just grabbing preset bells, but you're going to be resting between sets anyway, so it's not that big of a deal. Way cheaper and way less space than a set of dumbbells.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't use adjustable dumbbells. At all. That's one reason to have a gym with complete equipment.
    The one's you do have...where could one buy those or make them?

For the rest of you reading this conversation, feel free to pitch in your two cents on where your purchased yours and what you like/dislike about them. I'm eager to purchase a set as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

I have a big rack of dumbbells, welded up from exercise plates and bar stock. How this helps you I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Vandiver View Post
    The one's you do have...where could one buy those or make them?

For the rest of you reading this conversation, feel free to pitch in your two cents on where your purchased yours and what you like/dislike about them. I'm eager to purchase a set as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.
    I bought a set of standard adjustable dumbbells with screw on collars a while ago off craigslist. They have enough space to hold about 120 lbs each. The collars can unscrew a little during each set, so I wouldn't trust them if they were loaded to the maximum, but anything less than that I haven't had a problem with.

What exercises to you plan on using the dumbbells for???

Thank you for all the replies thus far. Rip, I just couldn't remember how you had made your dumbbells. I suppose the question was more of a future sense sort of question. For now the garage gym must be small to accommodate my living quarters, but in the future I'd like to get a real nice set.

starting strength coach development program
    A question for all: Are those adjustable dumbells, the ones that go from 5lb to 90lb, are they worth buying? They are like $300 for the pair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast